PDA

View Full Version : How to make IE Windows Maximized Automatically

Ashley Matthews
04-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Hi,

Im running Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 on my XP Home Laptop. Whenever a window pops up, or I select 'Open in New Windows', the window comes up as just as small section of the blue title.

How do I make these windows maximized by default?

Any help appreciated,
Ashley

Mike
04-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Minimise all windows except for one of the small IE Windows. Right click on an empty space on the task bar (the bar at the bottom with the Start button) and click "Tile Windows Vertically". Now that one IE window should fill most of the screen. Hold down Ctrl and click on the X in the corner of the IE window. Now when you start IE or open a new IE window it should open the same size.

I know it's not quite maximised, but surely it's close enough :) There is apparently a program you can buy/download that'll automatically maximise IE windows, but I'm not sure what it is.

HTH

Mike.

metla
04-05-2003, 05:32 PM
omg.

Right click the shortcut to ie,properties,open maximised.

Mike
04-05-2003, 06:26 PM
> Right click the shortcut to ie,properties,open maximised.

That would work for when opening IE from the desktop (and that's only if IE on the desktop is a shortcut). However it doesn't work when opening IE from within another IE window (right-click on a link and select "Open in new window")

Mike.

metla
04-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Once you set ie6 to always open maximised then from then on it opens maximised regardles of where the program is launched from.

>(and that's only if IE on the desktop is a shortcut).

heh?....what else could it be?

Even if its in the quick launch section of the toolbar,or in the start menu or on the desktop its a shortcut to the .exe located in your program files.

Mike
04-05-2003, 07:28 PM
> Once you set ie6 to always open maximised then from
> then on it opens maximised regardles of where the
> program is launched from.

no it doesn't - if you right-click on a link and choose "Open in a new window" (or shift left-click) it'll open, but not in a maximised window.

> >(and that's only if IE on the desktop is a
> shortcut).
>
> heh?....what else could it be?

The IE desktop application.

> Even if its in the quick launch section of the
> toolbar,or in the start menu or on the desktop its a
> shortcut to the .exe located in your program files.

IE on the desktop is not a shortcut (as aren't My Computer, Recycle Bin, Network Neighbourhood and MS Outlook). In the quick launch toolbar and the start menu they are shortcuts however (so your suggestion would work from there).

Mike.

metla
04-05-2003, 09:30 PM
uh,after changing the setting my open new window allways opens maximised.

>The IE desktop application.

got ya,i just went into the desktop properties and asked xp to display ie on the desktop and as you stated it isn't a shortcut as such.

my bad.

But as always,i reserve the right to be wrong about stuff.

tango
04-05-2003, 11:07 PM
alternatively you could be the man and get rid of that ie icon on the desktop and just use the quick launch one. that would make you cool, like me.

raddersnz
05-05-2003, 03:09 AM
> alternatively you could be the man and get rid of
> that ie icon on the desktop and just use the quick
> launch one. that would make you cool, like me.

Even better idea, would be to put a Mozilla (http://mozilla.org) icon in the quicklaunch bar.
1 - tabbed browsing
2 - popup killer
3 - mozilla mail rocks - better than OE
4 - fully customizable
5 - tabbed browsing
6 - ability to kill popups - can even have an alert play when it succeeds
7 - regular upgrades - rather than patches
8 - many skins to choose from
9 - tabbed browsing is the B all and N'd all of surfing

But don't take my word for it. Try it out today, you will be impressed.

raddersnz
05-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Here (http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/Mozilla1.jpg) is a look at mozilla with a skin on.
Here (http://sal.neoburn.net/pf1images/Mozilla2.jpg) is something IE can't do.

raddersnz
05-05-2003, 03:32 AM
However, I would not recommend getting 1.4a - being an alpha release it has not worked well for me, so I reverted to 1.3

E.ric
05-05-2003, 08:12 AM
I just had to do it. I could nor resist it any longer,

This Microsoft OS farts when it starts and farts when I close it down.