PDA

View Full Version : ADSL filter setup.

john r
04-05-2003, 02:40 PM
If you are capable, can you do the same ADSL filter setup as a Telecom tech instead of filters at each jack.
Where would you buy the splitter.
Thanks for any help,
John R.

godfather
04-05-2003, 02:44 PM
I did a self-install, and used one Nokia in-line filter (the type designed for one phone) to supply all phone circuits in the house, with the ADSL fed before the filter.

It may depend on your distance from the exchange (level of ADSL) , but in my case it works fine. I am about 1.5 kM from the exchange.

john r
04-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks godfather for your quick reply, I am able to split my PC phone line off from the rest of the house so I could do the same, how many phones can you feed off one filter if you buy an in line jack type.
john r.

godfather
04-05-2003, 03:05 PM
They suggest only one.
Mine actually feeds a mini pabx, which has about 7 phone devices (over 3 circuits) and works well.

I would estimate that the heaviest loaded circuit would have 3 phones on it, but the pabx does regenerate the ringing signal so that may be misleading. The actual phone signal is relay switched in the pabx so the loading should be representative? At $20 the job was easy though.

I was also told that the Nokia filters were better than the others. Dick Smith Electronics used to sell them, but I think they moved to another brand. At the shop I dealt with (Columbo St ChCh) , they actually had them "unadvertised" but available. At the particular branch, they had one staff member who really knew his stuff on ADSL, and I followed his advice.

On his advice I purchased an Alcatel Speedtouch pro router/modem and was up and running in a couple of minutes. Never had a problem with it.

john r
04-05-2003, 03:16 PM
I will give it a go with one filter, I was already looking to buy the Nokia brand of filter,so will do so.
Thanks again,
john r