PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Hard Drive

taxboy4
03-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi

My old computer (a P3- 550) has been sitting on my study floor ever since i upgraded 9 months ago and I have now got the hard word to clean it and give it to a relative.

Its full of so much crap I thought best way to go is to simply format it, reload XP , Word, and Email and let it go out a virgin.

Can any one give me some sites etc on the steps to format a hard disk.

Also I guess I'll need to create a floopy disk with the drivers, dos instructions to active the CD Rrive too so I can reload XP?

Any help gratefully received.

holden
03-05-2003, 07:27 PM
go to the FAQs up in the top right and all will be reveled

taxboy4
03-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi

Are you refering to something in your posting?

stu140103
03-05-2003, 07:57 PM
> go to the FAQs up in the top right and all will be
> reveled

this is the FAQ: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.jsp?forum=1

holden
03-05-2003, 08:08 PM
follow the link from stu 140103 and go to FAQ 33
and print it out and you will be away

Susan B
03-05-2003, 09:27 PM
In case you are still wondering, this forum has a collection of FAQs that can be accessed from the link, top right of this page.

The reformatting FAQ is there amongst them.

taxboy4
04-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks

very helpful!

Iain Walmsley
05-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Someday I might even take the effort to read those FAQ's ;-)

Susan B
05-05-2003, 04:55 PM
> Someday I might even take the effort to read those FAQ's

*Starts swinging lasso overhead*

Even better still, I am sure you would do a wonderful job at writing a few for us. ;-) :D

Graham L
05-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Surely, all you need to do is boot the installation disk for the OS, tell it you want to partition the disk, remove any partitions, make one partition, and carry on. It will then format the disk in the flavour of your choice, then install the OS, won't it?

Or is that too simple an approach to work? B-)

Iain Walmsley
05-05-2003, 05:22 PM
In theory thats perfect. Unfortunately Windows doesnt always work well... in theory that is ;-)

Most OS installation disks will let you do that with a partition that it can read. Thus 2k or XP will let you do anything you want with NTFS or FAT16/32 partitions, but will have a hissy fit on Linux partitions. Win9X has a hissy fit on NTFS partitions too.

Linux reads all four, and not many people need to worry about other disk structures.

Iain

Graham L
05-05-2003, 05:29 PM
The original posting says "reinstall XP" ... I assume that in theory XP should be able to recognise the format it used from new. :D

The quotation should be, I think, "In theory, theory and practice are equuivalent. In practice, theory and practice differ". :D

PoWa
05-05-2003, 09:30 PM
If you are giving the hard drive away, read the FAQ on 'cleaning the data off a hard drive'. That will make sure any confidential data that is still on the hard drive is properly erased (just a format won't do it).

Why give the PC away??? Get a copy of MS Advanced Server 2000 or Linux(harder option) and cluster network it (Like I'm doing ;) ). In theory this means you can be using the processing power from the P3 550 to help your main computer. It can utilise ram, hard drive and processor. If you do that, then you can probably use your spare monitor for twinview on your main comp?

If you do give it away, after you've cleaned the hard drive, just install winXp fresh on it (violating multiple license agreements) and then install the word programmes (also violating licenses) ...unless of course you are planning to give your relative all the software you are installing on it.