PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! MACHINE CAN'T BOOT!!!????

jackyht
03-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Hi

My machine suddenly won't boot at all, you know when you turn on the computer, it will read how much memory you got, i don't even go on this stage... the motherboard doesn't even send signal to the monitor in order to starts.... so at the moment, the screen is still on off mode....

For more information, i actually take out the case and have a look inside, when i turn on the computer, the HDD itself got the light on at 1st, after 5 second, it just turn itself off....

Please help.... and it will be much appreciated

Thanks

JohnD
03-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Does your PC have an integrated video card or an expansion card. Sounds like the video card may not be in it's slot properly? Using proper antistatic procedures, make sure that the card is properly seated.

Alternatively you may have a faulty power supply?

whetu
03-05-2003, 07:09 PM
so your computer automatically switches itself off after 5 seconds? is that right? If so I'd say you could have an issue with your CPU cooling; when you fire up your comp, your cpu heat spikes and your mobo's cpu-protection mechanism kicks in and shuts your computer down.

Otherwise it's really a case of elimination; try another video card if you can (a PCI/ISA vid card can be got for $5-$10 bucks at your local ripoff shop), try taking out your ram sticks and swapping the slots they were in, or just try one stick at a time(assuming you have multiple sticks).

Try cleaning the golden fingers on your video card and your ram. To do this simply rub a pencil eraser along the golden fingers (golden fingers is the name that refers to the row of conductors along the slot side of any pci/agp card, slot cpu's and sticks of ram)

overtime the golden fingers can oxidise or tarnish, reducing conductivity. So the occasional clean helps. Dont forget to keep up your antistatic measures while you are cleaning them though...

nomad
03-05-2003, 08:00 PM
try change ur drives around..... i once tried a diff drive combination and it will not even get to the ram countdown screen. jus a black screen. not even bios screen.

jackyht
03-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi again...

Hmmm, after i received all your msg, I have try this way, take out the power plug on the back of computer and also take out the one on the powerboard...

Then I put the power plug back in the computer 1st, then when i put the end one to the powerboard, suddenly it got a flash (big spike) from the powerboard. then the computer boots itself up!!!

After that, I shut it down again... put back the case in, and the result is, i can't boot again..... really strange

Wot I did is...
take out the case and install the network card, after that put back the case in and the case hit the power cord i think and it just reset itself... then i just turn the machine off.... After that, the computer never being alive again

Anyone's help will be much appreciated

PoWa
03-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Sounds like you may have fried your motherboard...

raddersnz
04-05-2003, 02:54 AM
> Hi again...
>
> Hmmm, after i received all your msg, I have try this
> way, take out the power plug on the back of computer
> and also take out the one on the powerboard...
>>>>While its live?:|
> Then I put the power plug back in the computer 1st,
> then when i put the end one to the powerboard,
> suddenly it got a flash (big spike) from the
>>>>Its never a good idea to plug/unplug something while the power is on.
>>>>You might need to unsolder all the PCI cards now :p
> powerboard. then the computer boots itself up!!!
>
> After that, I shut it down again... put back the case
> in, and the result is, i can't boot again..... really
> strange
>
> Wot I did is...
> take out the case and install the network card, after
> that put back the case in and the case hit the power
> cord i think and it just reset itself... then i just
> turn the machine off.... After that, the computer
> never being alive again
>
> Anyone's help will be much appreciated

Buy a socket which you can turn off.

PoWa
04-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Definitely sounds like hes ruined his motherboard. Who fiddles round inside their PC with the power still going?!

At the back of your tower case, there might be a power on/off switch. try flipping that, then turning your computer on.

Iain Walmsley
05-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Ive been known to tinker a little with the current still running, it saves a few minutes when Im feeling particularly lazy ;-)

If you have the manual for your motherboard, then use that to find the jumper and reset your BIOS. If the computer still doesnt boot, then you have it is almost certain you have fried your motherboard. If it was anything else, ie mem, CPU, no graphics card, no HDD, you would get a system beep code identifying the problem from the motherboard.

The only reason Im aware of that you get no beep is when you got no working motherboard.

Resetting the BIOS can help if you have it set to auto power down on overheating or CPU fan not running, sometimes the sensors get rooted and it falsely detects an overheat on bootup.

Iain

jackyht
05-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Hi Iain

Thanks you for your kind help... i will have a try and see if it works again!!!

Once again
Thanks