PDA

View Full Version : boot failure at mup.sys

flying_green_leprachaun
02-05-2003, 09:18 PM
having problems on a pc, it wont boot all of a sudden, try to boot into safe mode, & the boot fails when loading mup.sys every time.

Ive done some googling, & for the most part everything I can find describing a similar problem, the solution has been to pull the PC to pieces one bit at a time. seeing if it will boot after the removal of a particlular component.

any other suggestions? mainly as I dont want to have to pull the PC to pieces, so what I am asking is there anything else I could check first?

Running XP Pro.
the hardware components I'll check out & list soon.

uav2
18-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I have the exact same problem after loading in the latest adobe reader 7 - did you find a solution to the problem?
thanks,
allen

drcspy
18-01-2006, 01:21 PM
try F8 key at startup then try 'last known good' and also try 'vga mode'..

WhiteWolf4
18-01-2006, 01:42 PM
First, Both of you running Virus and Trojan scanners, that are up to date??

Check all your cables are plugged in.

Then some pc specs would be good

Terry Porritt
18-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Google will show thousands of pages with this problem, but generally it seems to boil down to hardware/bios conflicts. I had this once when installing XP and the HDD was not recognised properly by the bios.

One fix is to carry out a "repair install" from the XP CD.

Another fix is to clear the bios by using the jumper that clears the bios, then set the bios defaults.

Faulty hardware such as memory, hard drive cables, etc have also been reported as causing XP to hang at this point.

One thing is almost certain, the problem is most likely not a faulty mup.sys, so ignore any advice about finding another copy of this driver.

Now it would have been better to start a new posting, it is hoping a lot to expect an answer from such an old posting as this :)