PDA

View Full Version : internet shareing wisard

robsonde
01-05-2003, 02:46 PM
i have a network of four computers and i what to have one dial the internet and share it with the esecond computer. i dont need internet access from the other two computers.

the problem is that i have found that the wisard has setup the main computer as a DHCP server for the network and i dont want to have DHCP for all the computers.

how can i have internet conection shared and not use DHCP??

I only want file shareing on the other computers.

cyberchuck
01-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Okay
Step 1: Assigning a Static IP to all the clients:
You haven't specified what OS you are using, but try this. Go into Control Panel, on Win9X/ME Machines double click on the Network icon.
Now, click on TCP/IP > *NIC NAME* then Click Properties
Select Use the Following IP Address
Type in an IP address and Subnet mask (I assume you know what ones you are using - the ISW usually uses the 192.168 range with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask)
On WinXP, open the Control Panel and switch to classic view and open Network Connections then right click on your LAN connection and click properties
Click TCP/IP and Click Properties
Select Use the Following IP Address and fill in the details

Step 2: Access the Net:
On the Client you want to access the internet, get back into the Network Settings by following the instructions above for your OS
In Win9x/ME click on the gateway tab and then put the IP Address in of the machine that is running ICS on it (only do this on the machines that you want to use the shared internet connection - do not do this on the machine running ICS).
Then, on the DNS Configuration tab, select enable DNS, and then put the name of the Host machine (running ICS) on the HOST part - note that this is case sensitive! and in the DNS Server Search Order put the Ip address of your ISP's DNS Servers below (if Xtra is your ISP then their DNS Servers are discussed below)
On WinXP, below the Subnet Mask and IP Address is the Gateway setting, put the IP Address of the machine running ICS in here. Then, select Use the following DNS Server address, and then put the IP Addresses of your ISP's DNS Servers in here. For Xtra these are 202.27.184.3 and 202.27.184.5

You now have a working network sharing an internet connection and other files without DHCP! :D

CyberChuck