PDA

View Full Version : whats happening in the background?

ahoundau
01-05-2003, 11:42 AM
hi,
recently having done a format and reload of win98, i have notice - partiulary when online, suddenly my laptop will slow down and its little brain will be madly thinking away as if some thing else has come up that is way more important than pages i want to look at..... is there a neat bit of software that i can leave running to spy on just what my machine is up to in these moments of high thought - which usually require a reboot to resolve?

i am running anti virus and the zonealarm firewall with win98se and regular virus checks show up clean?????

cheers will

andy
01-05-2003, 12:14 PM
If you reformatted, you probably reloaded M$ Office. This popular software keeps your computer fit by exercising the hard drive with a thing called "quick-find". Anytime the processor thinks its all quiet, this thing goes cataloging the files on your hard drive. It gobbles processing power and interferes with normal tasks, such as cd burning. It auto loads at start-up so run Msconfig and kill it. This may not be the cause of your problem but I guarantee its not helping any.
regards,
andy

stu140103
01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Have a look under Msconfig & see if they are any you do not want start up, if your not too sure just ask here

Also press ctrl+alt+del that will show you what is running in the background.

Hope this helps

sal
01-05-2003, 01:08 PM
a handy utitlity for win98 is wintop (http://www.naples.net/ftparea1/ftp_files/wintop.zip), which shows *all?* processes running on your system, some of them might sound a bit foreign, but if your not sure what they are, just chuck their names up here, im sure someone will be able to rattle off their purposes, and if they should be running,

grtz sal.
tga

Terry Porritt
01-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Thats a great little utility sal, thanks for that info.
Cheers

Sami
03-05-2003, 01:18 PM
I've give a lot of serious thought to your problem and I suspect that a thicker grade of oil might help ( have you tried honey?), or, failing that, think about getting your handbrake fixed. Another possibility is to use your current laptop as an kayak anchor and buy a new one.

Greg S
03-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Wintop is a fantastic utility. Comes as part of the Windows 95 Kernel Toys package, and although not supported by MS, in fact works perfectly with Win98.

ahoundau - to get to msconfig, go Start | Run | Type in msconfig | Ok | Startup, and there you can see what auto-runs whenever you boot up.

Chilling_Silently
03-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Try WinTasks 4, not too sure on who writes it sorry, but you can download a trial from them if you search for the website on google.

You can also use this utility to change the Thread Priority, making some threads/processes/apps have processing priority, which could be useful for your case :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chilling_Silence