PDA

View Full Version : REGISTRY CLEANER

olldaddy76
01-05-2003, 08:05 AM
QUESTIONS
Is a Cleaner necessary....
Does it help.....
What one is recommended....
Can it be done without one.....by taking longer but ending with the same result......
I know I am always asking questions and I really appreciate the answers but SOME DAY I may be able to CONTRIBUTE......! even pigs may fly.......in imagination.....

Iain Walmsley
01-05-2003, 09:08 AM
For the purposes of cleaning your registry, yes a cleaner is useful.

Technically I suppose you COULD manually search through your registry, check all entries that refer to files/folders etc and then delete the entries that refer to non-existant files/folders... but that would be akin to attempting to debug Windows in binary.

Cleaning you registry periodically is a good idea, just to clear out all the unused crap that many programs leave behind. Your registry also works faster when the operating system doesnt have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant stuff, but you are only likely to actually notice any difference if you are the sort of person who has been installing/uninstalling programs weekly for the last year or so.

Im not sure what a good stand alone reg-cleaner is, I use Norton SystemWorks for mine.

Pheonix
01-05-2003, 09:11 AM
A good one is regcleaner or you can get jv16 powertools which has regcleaner incorporated in it. Have been using for about 12 months now with 98 and XP without a problem.

Iain Walmsley
01-05-2003, 09:12 AM
If you want to clean your registry, then a cleaner is necessary.

While it is technically possible to do it manually, attempting to wade through all the registry entries, and cross reference them with all files/folders on your system would be only marginally more fun than debugging windows in binary.

Cleaning the registry is a good thing to do periodically as there are often many entries left floating around after programs are uninstalled, and this can eventually start slowing performance... but unlikely to be noticable on current machines unless you ignore it for a year or so.

I dont know of any good stand alone cleaners, I use Norton SystemWorks for mine.

falcon
01-05-2003, 09:37 AM
F*#k trying to do it your self...

Norton utilitis in systemworks is a good one but also system mechanic...

i use both

once cleaned... i use the other one... to find more unneeded entries...

Pheonix
01-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Yeah, windoctor in Nortons Sytemworks (run off CD) is great. JV16 is the next best thing as it is free and reliable.