PDA

View Full Version : win2k login password

fnphoto
29-04-2003, 10:31 PM
A friend of mine running win 2000 pro had an error in Norton Antivirus 2003 ( He doesn't remember what it was!) & then the computer crashed. Now he cannot get passed the login & password box. He has tried 'hundreds' of combinations but cannot get into windows.
Does anyone know a way, appart from formating, around this problem??

Merlin
29-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Reinstall over the top of the existing into a new directory

mikebartnz
29-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Put the cd in and choose recovery console.

Merlin
29-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Really
and what about the administrator password?

AlexF
29-04-2003, 11:19 PM
so basically he has forgotten the administrator password?

read this page: http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
and download the boot image. this will allow you to "change" the password but i would STRONGLY recommend that you simply delete the password and not set another one until you get into windows. there is a chance that the registry could become corrupted and setting a password increases that risk, so use at your own risk! :)

mikebartnz
29-04-2003, 11:36 PM
He stated in his post that he could not get past the login password dialog box and that does not mean the admin password has been trashed. He also said that it was a crash caused by Norton Anti-virus. Recovery console may not be the answer but if it is it will be a lot quicker than a reinstall.

Merlin
30-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Read pp 744-5 MSCE Training Kit Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and p 519 MSCE Training Kit Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional - both Study Guides are from MS Press - rather than relying on foolish guesswork.

While the Recovery Console may be the answer, access is essential - and blatantly obvious.

--------------------
Clutching at straws is usually the domain of those drowning

The Student
30-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I have used tools myself to test whether these tools can actually do their work.... Indeed it can be done!

I don't understand why certain group of people still continue to develop programs to reverse these changes when clearly, the Administrator is at the top of the list has full rights and all, and this is just another typical way to hack into "A COMPUTER".

People who are Administrators or using the Administrator account should know and understand the consequences when forgetting their own passwords and its foolish for any person wanting to help just to open up all options for curiours robbers.......

Question is, why use the Administrator account to use the Antivirus? You still can do this on any other account, and still get errors?

No computer is safe. No computer is secure.

Finally, Bloody good job for forgetting your password Pal!! (If really it is YOUR mates)

Chilling_Silently
30-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Im pretty sure you can reboot into DOS mode off a 98 floppy, try this:
Delete the file c:\WINNT\Config\SAM
I think that's the location.. and its supposed to be that simple.. havent tried it though?

Merlin
30-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Another silly piece of guesswork by another fool who has failed ascertain the situation

-----------------
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
- Albert Einstein

Graham L
30-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Merlin: You are using personal abuse again. Why? Do you think it convinces people of your infallibility?

I'd say that citing Microsoft documentation about the security of their systems is "unwise".

Chilling_Silently
30-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Actually Merlin - There is a file called SAM somewhere in the WinNT folder, and all you have to do is delete it!

I know because I HAVE DONE IT! It does work, and its dead simple provided you have FAT32 or FAT16 File System, as it doesnt work with NTFS!

It is dead easy to remove that file, and in Win9x all you have to do is remove the .pwl file!

I think just for Merlin I'll say it again:

Its dead easy!

...All you have to do is know where the file is...:8}

Please, refrain from personal insults on a public forum. I have researched this before, as I left my system un-attended and a younger sibbling thought it'd be a good joke on a Freshly Created system to change the Admin password.. then they forgot it.

If you must sink to insulting somebody, please, do it in private!

Thankyou!

Chilling_Silence

Archibald
30-04-2003, 03:03 PM
I think its in c:\WINNT\system32\Config\SAM

A

fnphoto
30-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Thank you to all those who helped with this. I have now logged - in and successfully corrected the problem.
To the other doubters & dickheads, I suggest you go and find something & somewhere else to waste your time. you are only using up valuable screen area here.

Chilling_Silently
30-04-2003, 04:16 PM
> I think its in c:\WINNT\system32\Config\SAM
>
> A

:D

Thanks... I must try and remember that.. :-)

Archibald
30-04-2003, 06:22 PM
;):)

Merlin
30-04-2003, 07:36 PM
Yawn

Archibald
30-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Merlin, are you having a bad day? :D

mikebartnz
30-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Thank you Merlin you are so enlightning. If you were really smart you could have given an actual hotlink or two.

mikebartnz
01-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Merlin you are getting above yourself on this topic. You are fast going Tims way on this.

mikebartnz
01-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Take note of what you quoted.

mikebartnz
01-05-2003, 12:12 AM
>There is another Quote that says it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and comfirm it.

Chilling_Silently
01-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Okay, here's just to clear the waters:

Merlin>
Im gonna just assume you're having a bad day... call me ignorant, but that yawn indicates you may have been tired, possibly suffering from that fact.

So,
If you really do feel the need to attack my persona, do it in private, Im sure nobody else in this forum gives a rats tail that you may or may not like somebody, however I would like to hope that I have (to date) not created myself a single enemy on PressF1, and that I am a well-respected poster, for my easy-goingness, and knowledge in computers..

..Im also wanting to be known here for being slow to bite back, and for keeping my cool, even when it turns out I knew perfectly well what I was talking about, yet received such treatment from you.

If you must, email me or send me a message on ICQ... Its not that hard to find my details in here.. ... I would love to know quite what I may have done to offend you.

Otherwise, Please, Keep it out of the forum, for my sake and the rest!

Thankyou

Chill.

nz_liam
01-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Now now children, settle, ok :p

I've use this app many times to change passwords, http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

BTW The disk is Linux Based :D

mikebartnz
02-05-2003, 12:04 AM
It would be interesting to know how you actually solved your problem. Thank you

fnphoto
02-05-2003, 08:11 AM
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd
I fixed the problem by using the bootdisk from this link. It worked very well. Thanx again to those that helped.