PDA

View Full Version : How do I use one cd drive on two networked computers?

Swaziman
29-04-2003, 04:52 PM
I have networked two computers together, but only one has a cd drive. I can access the cd drive from both computers but the computer without the cd drive doesnt recognise the drive as a cd-rom drive.

What can I do?

somebody
29-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Do you have to use the functions as a CD ROM drive? It can still read the data on the drive without it looking like a CD ROm drive.

Merlin
29-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Nothing

As a workaround remove the cd drive and fit to the second computer
Ensure both computers a switched off when this is done.
Start the computer with the cd drive.
repeat when required by the first computer.

An alternative solution is to purchase another cd drive.

tweak\'e
29-04-2003, 05:45 PM
is that a problem ???? ;-)

as long as your not trying to to rip cd's or burn cd's it shouldn't be much of a problem. just access it as a you would any other drive.

Swaziman
30-04-2003, 07:54 PM
It does read the data without it looking like a cd drive, but I do need it to function like a proper cd drive, If you know how to set it as a proper drive so that it is recognised by my computer as a drive not a file then I would appreciate it if you could tell me how.

Swaziman
30-04-2003, 08:00 PM
The drive is in my dads computer and I dont think he would be too pleased if I kept on taking it out of his computer and putting it into mine. Also I have a slimline Compaq computer case so I cant fit his cd drive in my computer, I would need a slim cd drive or an external one, neither of which I have the money for at the moment. I can afford a normal size internal drive though, so if I it is possible to use an internal cd drive externally that would probably be the best solution. I would only need to get a few cables from Dick Smith Electronics or a similar store. I dont however want to run the drive in an external drive bay, they are too expensive.

nomad
30-04-2003, 08:18 PM
both comp have a network card then get them to work w/ each other.
double click on network neighborhood and map the cd drive (right click??) - that cd drive need to be shared on that pc b4. when u map it, it will be like g: or such as..... u can plock a cd in it and access it using the other pc.

use a crossover cable. ms network installed, ms network logon, printer and file sharing installed - all under control panel --> network. click add if not there already. may need the windows cd. same password and username need to be installed on both PCs. u have to logon when accessing the drive via the network. tell us how u get on....

u know how to network rite?? i suggest both to have 100 speed network cards....

Nomad.

Merlin
30-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Share the cd - refer to MS for setting up a Workgroup

For installation of Windows
Access the drive using a DOS boot disk with network drivers relating to the Compaq network card - search Google for how to create/obtain one

In Windows
Create a Workgroup - use the same name as above
For access to the cd create a mapped drive in My Computer - refer MS for this.
The cd will appear as a 'normal' shared drive with the following restrictions:
No autorun on the Compaq - not possible to access the hardware on another computer
No write access - not possible to write to a read-only cd and for the above reason. Also CD burning is not possible from the Compaq.

nomad
30-04-2003, 08:22 PM
sorry did not read question carefully. so u have networked. well done :D
does not recognised. well use a cd clone proggy. maybe someone knows one or else google it. should be able to clone via the network drive. i have a dvd/cd drive on each pc :p

Merlin
01-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Possible

Get a long IDE cable - custom made may be required - and a power cable extension. A custom made speaker cable may also be necessary.
Ensure antistatic precautions are taken.

Position carefully and connect the CD drive.

------------
All care and no responsibility

Iain Walmsley
01-05-2003, 10:14 PM
> Get a long IDE cable - custom made may be required -
> and a power cable extension.

Sounds like a solution born in desperate times ;-)