PDA

View Full Version : HP scanner

maxymise
29-04-2003, 11:56 AM
I have win 2000 running on a 1.7G system and have a problem with a HP Scanjet 5200C scanner. The scanner has both parallel and usb connections and is currently hooked up with usb and working, my problem is the software is looking for a parallel connection and keeps putting an icon in the system tray with a cross through it saying scanner not responding, this seems to be a start up function. How do you get the system to stop looking for the parallel connection?

The Student
29-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi,
I have seen this problem myself using a HP5100C Scanner. Are you using the up to date driver versions for the scanner for Windows 2000? For now, just log on as Administrator and then go to the start up menu and delete the "Parallel connection shortcut." The reason that this appears frequently at startup, is that the device was primarly for Windows 95,98 98se, at the time and not for Windows 2000. Windows 2000 however, does not require this parallel connection.

If you already have checked and verified that there was no shortcut, then the next thing to do, is check your Registry file. The location is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

If you see a string value called "HPPT", then its more likely to be the one responsible.

The Registry file to correct this fix at the top of my head is:

------------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"HPPT"=-
------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please note that the above line CurrentVers ion should appear correctly as:

CurrentVersion (as one word).

For somewhat reasons to explain why it appears like this on screen is beyond my control....

Just copy the above text in between the lines in Notepad and save the file as HPSCANFIX.REG

Let me know how you got on

maxymise
30-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have found the line you are talking about in the registry editor, but i have had no experience playing around in here. Could you please go into a little more detail reguarding how to alter this to fix my problem. This would be much appreciated.
Mike

The Student
30-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi Mike,

The contents in between the lines is the "FIX" to your problem.

I made this file, because I wasn't certain if you were experienced enough to use the Registry. And in just copying the code, will save you the time and effort in having to really understand the registry, without the need to do this manually.

However, I will try my best to clarify more about the code down the botton of the page. To use the fix, you just..........

(1) Copy the contents between the lines
(2) Open up "NotePad" and right click and choose "Paste"
(3) Go to "File" and click "SaveAs"
(4) Give the file a name, eg. HPSCANFIX.REG (Make sure to include the .REG) otherwise, it will not work.

----------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]
"HPPT"=-
----------------------------------------------------------
*Note the above line: Ru n] should be:

Run]

(Without any spaces; just as one word including the (])bracket symbol

***Extra information***

REGEDIT4: Is just a simple form of saying: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00.
This one integrates on all Windows Systems easily.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.......RUN]: This is the Path of where you want the Registry to go to.

HPPT=- :The "HPPT" (is the name of the value). The "=-" (equals sign and subtraction symbol) tell the Registry to delete this value only.
Not the Directory it is in, or any subdirectory, or any other registry value within that directory also, but just that one!

Or else, since you were able to find that value yourself, you can just go back there and just delete the registry value "HPPT" and its done!

Finally if still feel uncertain about the modifcation taking place, it isn't really necessary for you to backup the entire Registry, since you are only modifying one location. Just go back here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

When you get to the "Run" Directory, just go to the Toolbar and choose Registry.
Choose "Export Registry File" and just give a name.

Hope this helps. f this doesn't please feel free to ask again.

Don't know why the text seems bold.... maybe its too much writing thats causing it...

Cheers....

maxymise
30-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks very much for that, I just deleted it from the registry and
TAA DAA!!!! it was gone from the system tray
cheers