PDA

View Full Version : Burning CDs

Thomas01
28-04-2003, 06:36 PM
I tried to make back up copies of my MSWORKS installation CDs using my new burner and NERO software. No luck - nothing happened so I copied all the files to my hard drive then tried making a CD from them. That worked but trying it I got the message to insert the CD !
I presume MSOFT do something to their installation CDs to make sure they cannot be copied. But I would really like backup up copies. Is there any way to circumvent the beast so that they can be copied ?

falcon
28-04-2003, 07:17 PM
you need to copy the subcode as well

you know how when you put a music cd in the player in knows how long the cd is and how long each of the songs are... that info is stored in the subcode...
software manufactures also hide anti piracy data in here...

when you copy a cd to your hard drive by just clicking and copying... it only copys the main code... and leaves the subcode behind...
then when you come to write it back to cd... the burning program then recreates the subcode( which is basiclly just timing and placement of data) without the anti piracy data...

nero should have an option to copy the audio subcode... which will then write all the anti piracy data you need to the next cd...

nero rocks... but for just straight copieing use clonecd... as it copies bothe the subcode and main code.....

If you need to copy the cd to your hard drive but you also need the subcode... you need to write whats called an image... main and sub code together (usually as one file....)
clonecd does this....
also winiso...

hope that helps..

Falcon

roofus
28-04-2003, 08:16 PM
I once started a discussion about the here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30370&message=126852&q=age+of+empires#126852)
As you see every tom dick and harry had something to say on the matter. Loshing was the most informative in this area. As said info is written in the sub code of the cd to stop people duplicating it, there are ways around this, but it involves quiet a bit of reading and understanding how it all works