PDA

View Full Version : MemTest

somebody
28-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Susan B recommended that I try using MemTest to test my RAM. The problem is that I had it running last night, and it crashed my computer. I am running it now, and have been for about 15 mins, and it still displays "0 cycles (0% coverage)".

Does anybody know if it's supposed to do that?

Graham L
28-04-2003, 06:11 PM
I think it's probably died, leaving the screen as it was. Almost all such test programmes show progress, so you know :D Try restarting it

-=JM=-
28-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Woah, must be something majorly up if memtest86 is not working for you. I've never seen that happen.... it is linux based after all.

rayonline
28-04-2003, 09:03 PM
i did the test and this happened:
test 2: 80 errors
test 7: 18,xxx errors.
others: 0 errors.

should i be alarmed? is a old desktop. ram/mobo bought in 98.

somebody
29-04-2003, 05:48 PM
If there are errors, I suppose so.

To add to what I said, when I tried, it would just say on 0%, until I close it by using Alt-Ctrl-Delete.

Any ideas people?

mikebartnz
29-04-2003, 10:46 PM
I would actually recommend DocMem

whetu
29-04-2003, 11:55 PM
somebody,
memtest86 is best run from dos, not from under the win32 environment. Make a bootdisc (or download a bootdisc image from bootdisk.com, a win98 bootdisc image will do) and throw memtest86 onto it.

restart with the bootdisc in and start your computer without cdrom support (you're testing memory, there's little point loading drivers for a cdrom if you're not going to use it) and at the prompt (a:>) type the name of the memtest executable (eg a:>memtest ) and press enter... this will start memtest and you'll be away laughing

Terry Porritt
30-04-2003, 08:54 AM
If you are talking of Memtest86 then it runs from a floppy, and it would seem the readme.txt file hasn't been read through (always RTFM) :)

Here is what is says to do to install:

2) Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy from windows. This is normal.

```````````````
Note, you cant even read the floppy from DOS either.

-=JM=-
30-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Memtest86 can also be run from a CD as well if you get the small ISO and burn the CD correctly.

Graham L
30-04-2003, 04:36 PM
RTFM. :D

The 14 page document you get from the first link given by "memtest86" in google is quite good.

The programme can hang ... not surprising. ;-) It is said to take a bit over 5 min/pass for a 64MB 366 MHz machine. It would pay to try various test configurations.

"18,xxx" errors might be non-existent memory.