PDA

View Full Version : packet loss

iron-zeus
27-04-2003, 05:09 PM
HI
Can anyone tell me ,if i ping an internet address, what is a normal amount in % of packet loss?? Mine sends 4 packets and always looses 1 25% loss,is this normal? Just interested to know

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-04-2003, 05:30 PM
You are probably going to want to send more packets before you get an accurate result - obviously if you send two packets and lose one, you get a fail rate of 50%, 4 and lose 1 25%, 8 and lose one 12.5% and so on.

Generally you should get most packets replied to, depending on the reliability of your network, connection, server, hardware, the place you are pinging etc etc. The major thing to look at with ping is the time taken.

Try using ping -t www.yourisp.co.nz and let it run for a while. Use CTRL-C to finish the ping test and display results, or CTRL+Break to display the results whilst leaving the test running.

Once you've pinged your ISP, ping something in New Zealand, and then ping something internationally and compare the results...

The higher the number of packets you send the more accurate the test, however you should get a good idea after about 20 or 30 packets.

iron-zeus
27-04-2003, 05:41 PM
ok thanks ill try that,im pinging in dos, how do i get it to keep pinging, i only no how to get it to do it once

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-04-2003, 05:46 PM
ping -t www.yourisp.co.nz

the -t switch makes it keep going indefinitely