PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP with Dialup not working

wintertide
25-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Today, I booted XP and logged into my account to go onto the internet. I doubleclick on the connection icon on my desktop, and the PC doesn't do anything. I try to go into the Network Connections folder - nothing happens. I know that it must be the PC because I was browsing the Internet fine on that account yesterday. I try another account, same result.

Could it have been that I updated all my virus scanner definitions and my Norton Internet Security yesterday? Or could it be related to the message that I got onscreen from a site that was claiming 'my PC is unprotected'? (The message came through from the Message Service that is used by admins on XP and Win2k to send messages through on a network).

I really need to get XP going on the Internet. I am currently using Win98 on the same PC (dual boot config) and can use the Internet fine on that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wintertide

Kenshin
25-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Goto ur "My Network Place" run setup network wizard again. If there's nothing wrong with ur modem you should be able to select an option to install a dial up connection. If that option is grayed out, that probably means your modem is not installed properly. In which case ..u might want to remove it inside control panel => system => device manager and then reinstall it. If all goes well... you should be able to install ur dialup connection again after u reinstalled ur modem.

I haven't used dial-up in a while, so I can't be sure if all the steps provided is correct ... but anyway ..I hope if gives u some clues! Good Luck!!

nirbhayn
25-04-2003, 02:27 PM
is it winxp pro and ru logged on administrator.

Restart your computer and try again. if this dosent work goto start - accessories-communication- New connection wizzard and make a new connection by deleting the old one. if this doesnt work goto internet explorer - internet option - general tab under the home page section type in any website u like and ress apply and then ok. if this also dosent work i would call my internet service provider and get help from them