PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard noise

Greg S
25-04-2003, 12:14 PM
I've got this weird problem with sounds emenating from my case's speaker, which gives a kind of a click sound everytime I release a key on the keyboard. At the same time the case hard-drive activity light flickers. The problem just started out of nowhere after I booted up one morning recently.

I've uninstalled the keyboard, and fitted a new unit, with Windows default drivers, so I am confident it's not the hardware.

Anyone else experienced this?

Jen C
26-04-2003, 06:53 PM
That is weird. You seem to have eliminated the obvious. I have heard that mice sometimes play up when its cable is tangled up amongst the other cables due to electrical interference. Could this be happening with the keyboard ?:|

A very long shot - but try moving the keyboard cable so that it dangles by itself away from the other cables.

Otherwise, someone else may have a more sensible suggestion :-)

Cheers
Jen

Graham L
27-04-2003, 04:31 PM
"Keyclick" used to be an option on terminals ... some people needed the sound feedback because they had learned on typewriters. I doubt if that is still an option. :D

The fact that the disk is operating with each keystroke is odd. Have you got a keystroke logging Trojan?

Wouldn't it be boring if computers behaved in totally perdicatble ways? B-)

KerryD
27-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Do you really need to use the internal speaker? Maybe you should just disconnect it, if you can't find any other solutions. After all, what does it go these days? I think people can successfully live their life without hearing it beep once on startup!

Greg S
27-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. There's no key logging software in operation, and all "sounds" have been disabled thru Control Panel, so the PC speaker doesn't give any noise, apart from this weird click.

E.ric
27-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Yes I had it once, a small squeaking sound, as if the keys needed oiling, it came and went like the full moon comes and goes, I think it came from the piezo speaker in the keyboard? I was never sure if it should be going al the time or not going at all, Then one day, many years later the keyboard went faulty, now I don't have that problem.