PDA

View Full Version : Win XP

ChrisPear
24-04-2003, 08:57 PM
I have recently loaded WinXP onto my system. I had Win98 on it before. My question is that when I had win98 installed and shut down the computer would automatically turn of, now with XP on it goes to the screen saying " its now clear to shut down your computer" and stays there. How can I set the computer to automatically shut down again.

ambasluv
24-04-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm not much of an expert on this one, as I have never had a problem with my Winxp machine doing that. Last I checked this was something to do with the chip u were runnning, I think the whole 'ability to turn thyself off' thing began with MMX chips, but I'm heading OT... Al I can think of is that some sort of BIOS setting isn't quite correct, but like I said, I'm no expert. Sorry I couldn't help more, but at least having at least one reply on your message might make one of the higher-ups take notice...

godfather
24-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Microsoft have your solution here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313290)

agent
24-04-2003, 09:38 PM
This may actually be a problem that Microsoft has documented, and since fixed. Being my unashamedly stupid self tonight however, after crawling Microsoft Search, I cannot find it. Goddamn.

agent
24-04-2003, 09:39 PM
Godfather comes to the rescue!.... while I'm busy searching.... :(

agent
24-04-2003, 09:41 PM
What do you know, I'm rambling on, the problem is most likely solved, and I actually found the document by searching under Windows XP only! I may also have gone right across it, because I did see some titles like "computer hangs at shutdown", but I ignored it.

ChrisPear
24-04-2003, 10:01 PM
I have checked out this web site however my computer doesnt give me the Advanced Power Managment tab as required ... any help on getting this would be an advantage.

agent
24-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Oh, well that's different then.

godfather
24-04-2003, 10:17 PM
As the site says,

CAUSE
This behavior occurs on computers that support the Advanced Power Management (APM) feature.
If you use a computers that does not load an Advanced Configuration Power Interface-compliant (ACPI-compliant) hardware abstraction layer (HAL), you receive this message when the shutdown procedure is complete.
When you use an ACPI-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) with the ACPI HAL, the operating system can turn off the power supply.

In other words, if the BIOS is not compliant for this function, it will not work. More info is here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prma_trb_hmai.asp) that may help you find out if your PC is able to support the feature. Its possible that a BIOS update may be needed (its risky though)

ambasluv
25-04-2003, 08:10 AM
BIOS, shoulda known. How come it worked okay in Win98? If it was a BIOS function, then by my guess it wouldn't have worked in Win98 either.