PDA

View Full Version : Software Issues

Computer Guy
24-04-2003, 02:43 PM
It seems like Microsoft is the company that puts out the most software with bugs, virus weaknesses and other issues. Is this so, and if so why?

honeylaser
24-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Perhaps because they are the most widely used software apps etc around, perhaps? More people use them, more people have time to get annoyed at small problems, MS have the money to invest in fixing it.
Smaller software companies have neither the market nor the money to improve their buggy products. There are a lot of really cr@ppy applications out there!

cyberchuck
24-04-2003, 03:02 PM
> Perhaps because they are the most widely used software apps etc
> around, perhaps? More people use them, more people have time to
> get annoyed at small problems, MS have the money to invest in fixing it.
Also, Microsoft have all the users and testers out there who either submit bugs to Microsoft or who's jobs are to find flaws with Microsoft Products... You should be greatful that Microsoft releases updates for their products and doesn't just leave them. Also, I would say that as Microsoft is a universally known company, it is more often to come under scrutiny and have it's flaws picked at in comparison to a little product that's made by some private company in the US. Give Microsoft a rest...

CyberChuck

Graham L
24-04-2003, 03:08 PM
This could easily degenerate into a "flame MS" thread.

That's not helpful. To anyone. :-(

Thomas
24-04-2003, 03:20 PM
>>Give Microsoft a rest...

As we all know M/S have a virtual monoply on O/S,a position they like no doubt.We who MUST BUY there system have every right to complain if we are not happy with there poduct,so to talk of giving them a rest,to me lacks any reason or objectivity.

What is more,what kind of frock does Baldy ware;)

cyberchuck
24-04-2003, 03:34 PM
> As we all know M/S have a virtual monoply on O/S,a position they like
> no doubt.We who MUST BUY there system have every right to complain
> if we are not happy with there poduct,so to talk of giving them a
> rest,to me lacks any reason or objectivity.

What can you object about? There are PC's out there that you can buy without Microsoft software preinstalled on them. DSE Terminators are just one of them, or how about Build Your Own?!? I'm sure you can fork out $10 and get a copy of Linux RedHat or Mandrake with OpenOffice, and then if you were to sell your Microsoft Windows CD (provided it's not OEM) then the $200 you would make off that would easily cover the $10 you spent for a Linux distro.
Every company likes having a monopoly on positions - it's called business if there was no such thing as monopoly then Businesses would have one hell of a hard time trying to make a profit, as their product equally shares the market with their competitors - the only real difference in products would be the nice sticker on the front
Have you thought that instead of complaining about Microsoft's work, if you were to go to their website, and fill out a bug report, then they might make a fix for your bug? Do you actually download Microsoft's patches?? How can you complain over a bad product when you don't make sure it's fully updated? That'd be like me getting out the old Norton Antivirus and complaining that it doesn't fix the latest Virus (which is Sars related - more info here (http://xtramsn.co.nz/technology/0,,7939-2312662,00.html)...

CyberChuck

Thomas
24-04-2003, 03:43 PM
First thing you should do is look word monopoly.Exclusive control or possession of something.
To my knowledge Toyota doesn't have one and they seem to do alright.

Dolby Digital
24-04-2003, 03:48 PM
>>This could easily degenerate into a "flame MS" thread.
Can make an interesting read though.

Funny how we have these Holden vs Ford wars.

Thomas
24-04-2003, 03:55 PM
Flame comes from subjectivity,this we abhor.

Archibald
24-04-2003, 04:06 PM
>
> As we all know M/S have a virtual monoply on O/S,a
> position they like no doubt.We who MUST BUY there
> system have every right to complain if we are not
> happy with there poduct,so to talk of giving them a
> rest,to me lacks any reason or objectivity.

I believe Thomas's statement is a fair one, you pay for anything and that gives you the right to complain (not that I complain;)... much), if it's functions as advertised. Works the same if you buy a new car, if its not satisfactory, you complain.

I believe these people who pirate MS/other software have absolute no right to complain about anything that Microsoft does or does'nt do.

A B-)

stu140103
24-04-2003, 04:19 PM
> This could easily degenerate into a "flame MS"
> thread.
>
> That's not helpful. To anyone. :-(

You should not off sad that :D ;)