PDA

View Full Version : In Win2000, how can I let Windows manage the virtual memory or paging file?

PoWa
23-04-2003, 11:28 PM
I have need of some big video editing and I need the paging file/ virtual memory to be managed by windows. (I don't want it set to a specific maximum)

So far I went:

Right Click on 'My Computer' and select properties,
Then click on the Advanced tab,
Under performance, I clicked settings.

It has an option to change the minimum and maximum size of the paging file, but where is the option to let windows manage it??

I ran into this problem when making an avi file, it said I had insufficient virtual memory to complete the task. Well I've increased it to about 2Gb maximum now, but I don't think that will be quite enough because the file I am converting from is 4gb. Isn't windows supposed to refresh this paging file so new stuff can be added to it??

hard drive space left is just under 4gb

Merlin
24-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Without going into detail, what you ask is not possible in Windows 2000.

Fit a second hard drive of sufficent capacity and relocate the paging file to there, setting the maximum size to suit.

PoWa
24-04-2003, 12:52 AM
How come? In 98, Me and Xp it lets windows control the virtual memory..why not in 2000?

Also slight problem with adding an extra hard drive - its a laptop :)

The Student
24-04-2003, 11:41 AM
> How come? In 98, Me and Xp it lets windows control
> the virtual memory..why not in 2000?

Hi,

From the time you installed 2000 (without changing any of the minimum and maximum settings), Windows has already managed your virtual memory by default.

Only difference is, that 2000, doesn't display the option message...."Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings blah blah blah.... when it already has done it for you.

Chilling_Silently
24-04-2003, 12:28 PM
Oh, but it does...

In Win2K it does.. It tells you what it thinks therecommended should be, so set that to the minimum, and add as much more as you think you can spare as a MAX.

It'll give you a warning, saying that Windows is increasing the Virtual Memory size, when it needs some more than the minimum!

I currently have 512MB RAM on an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, and my Virtual Memory is set to 64MB.. It reakons I need 766MB thou, but I know its not even using half of my RAM, let alone that much of the pagefile ;-)

It hasnt asked me since I got it if it can increase the pagefile size coz of the amount of RAM I have, currently Im using 135ish MB RAM... So thats a lot spare... Im surfing, playing MP3's... Capturing Video, Download MP3's, chatting, using a Remote Administrator (rAdmin.com's RAdmin), and im only at that.. so yeah, dont be fooled into having a super huge page file if it aint even using all your RAM.

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and click on the Performance tab, it tells you how much RAM windows is using :-)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

PoWa
24-04-2003, 01:51 PM
I increased the Max size of the paging file to 4095mb last night, and yea Windows said it was increasing the size of the paging file ;)

Everything was ok while it was encoding my video until......Windows decided not to manage my RAM as well!!! I got an error with Vidomi saying windows didn't have sufficient ram to complete the operation and Vidomi was stopping....And that all happened on the 3rd and final pass with 19secs left on the clock!! (It was 98.5% done). Man that annoyed me, cos encoding takes about 5 hours to do :\ Stupid windows.

Could the fact that I set the thread priority to high have had anything to do with it? I guess I'll have to try again, but this time with FreeMem installed on it..

Graham L
24-04-2003, 02:01 PM
I think it was disk you ran out of. The error message probably just means that you filled the disk with the swap file (=virtual memory).

With less than 4GB free disk, you are in trouble: you told Windows it could use up to 4GB.

A 40Gb or 80Gb disk added to the system would help. :D

PoWa
24-04-2003, 02:19 PM
I don't think it was VMem. It might have been, I checked that before I rebooted it said windows was only using 1.8Gb of swap...

I might clear a little junk off the hard drive and try again... I had the Vmem set to a max of 4095...I think there was 4400Mb left on that partition. In the other partition I was putting the divX file and that had about 2.7Gb free.

Cheers

Chilling_Silently
24-04-2003, 06:22 PM
I find in Win2K, stability is best kept if you set the process to High, and not RealTime!

The Student
24-04-2003, 09:20 PM

>Only difference is, that 2000, doesn't display the option message...."Let >Windows manage my virtual memory settings blah blah blah.... when it >already has done it for you.

>Oh, but it does...

Ok Chilling Silently, if you don't mind me asking, but where does it say "Let Windows manage my virtual settings etc..."?

> In Win2K it does.. It tells you what it thinks
> therecommended should be, so set that to the minimum,
> and add as much more as you think you can spare as a
> MAX.

Ok I agree It gives you something like the following information: Initial Size, Maximum Size, Minimum allowed, Recommended, Currently Allocated blah blah blah....

So where oh where can I see that message? Had to ask thou...

PoWa
24-04-2003, 11:01 PM
I think Chill means that it manages the VMemory for you up to the maximum you have set it to.

Correct me if I'm wrong? ;)

Anyway now about this memory error I got, how do I fix that and stop it from happening again? I mean it got up to 98% done - how could windows just decide to crash then?!

kiwibeat
26-04-2003, 12:01 PM
could try cacheman its free works fine in 98 not sure about 2000 though

BIFF
26-04-2003, 01:01 PM
If your video editing package requires more than 2GB of of pagefile then it is faulty. Just because the file is 4GB doesn't mean you need to load the whole thing into memory at the same time. I have edited 60GB+ uncompressed videos with no problems on my system with 786MB of RAM and a 1152MB pagefile using adobe premier.

PoWa
03-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Oh I'm use VirtualDub for editing, and Vidomi for encoding. They are free, Professional tools that do way a way better job than Adobe Premier and others.

Adobe just doesn't cut it. You can't encode to MPG-Layer 3 Audio (Mp3) for your DivX video. I've also tried others, Video Edit Magic, VideoMach, to name a few. They just don't come close and they can't do the basics such as: cutting a small portion out of an avi file, then re-encoding back to exactly the same format.

HadO
04-05-2003, 02:51 PM
I was doing that for a while - trying to get the minimum page file so Win2k would use my 512MB DDR RAM as apposed to the ATA100 pagefile - I would occasionally get messages telling me "Windows is increasing the size of your pagefile".

I have now reverted back to the recommended (1.5x RAM size) and have actually had better, stable performance with the large pagefile - I think this is just how Win2k/XP was designed to work - don't ask me why! ;)

HadO
04-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Oh and I mean that I have locked the size of the pagefile (MIN & MAX are the same (1024MB -mmm 1GB)) so Windows isn't stuffing around with it when it should be working. ;)