PDA

View Full Version : Can't download internet files

qcgroup
23-04-2003, 10:26 AM
I recently upgraded my windows to ME & installed Norton 2003 & changed my network of 2 pc's to connect directly to the Nokia jetstream router. Since then, I can't download any files. I want to upgrade my Outlook express & Explorer.
I can do everything else, play streaming video, loads pages Ok, but when downloading any file when it gets to 132Kb the download virtually stops.
Tried doing a selective start-up just loading system, ini, & vxd's but no difference.
What's the problem??

agent
23-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Could be a cable somewhere, but I'm not too sure in this area.

To me, it's rather confusing, as it doesn't matter if your playing a game over the internet, browsing the internet, or downloading a file - all three download and upload data. Perhaps there is something about downloading data more than 132KB in size, as internet pages, most emails, and perhaps data received from games (packets?) would generally be under this size.

Try disconnecting one computer and see if it still has the problem, if so, try it with only the other computer connected. If the problem is still there, I'd then try to check the cables going to the router, or the router itself.

qcgroup
23-04-2003, 11:23 AM
I agree, can't see why. thought it might be a setting of some kind in explrer.
I'll have to get at the cables - maybe change them around - worth a try

Nomad1
23-04-2003, 11:39 AM
I had a similar problem with IE6 and my dialup - it would open the download box but would never get past the "checking file" stage.
I had to re install ME to fix it

tweak\'e
23-04-2003, 12:42 PM
what are you useing to download files with?? if you are useing IE try a download manager.

before you changed the network where you useing dailup or jetstream?

qcgroup
23-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I was always using Jetstream.

It's really strange, the download just comes to a halt.

Starts off OK & then the speed & the time just expand.

EG a 300kb file goes down to 8 mins.

It's like there's no file space left or something.

I've deleted allthe internet files, increased my temp file size etc.

Just using a disk file manager to rationalise but I have 1.5 gig available.

Can't get the patches for Explorer & Office 2000 downloaded.