PDA

View Full Version : Ad-aware and Internet Explorer

Woof
22-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I've been having problems with 'puter (OE = ME) freezing up when downloading e-mail with Outlook Express 6, mainly under 1 or 2 addys that use mail rules to shunt their large (1=Mb) pdf files into separate folders

So eventually I got around to running add/remove Internet Explorer, Repair

Then with undue haste I ran Ad-aware 5.83 but changed the settings to get deeper into things (like Scan Registry/Quick Scan) and it came up with one :-
Type = K
System = Alexa
Details = software\microsoft\internet explorer\extension\{ blah blah }

So I nixed it

Performance didn't seem to like that (sorry, very vague here)

So I reran add/delete/internet explorer/repair and it is back

Problem is when I startup Outlook Express I get constant stream of HDD activity but ctrl/alt/del dosesn't show anything fresh

Is something going on in the background that I should know about ?

Another big concern is that it drives up cpu (P@233) usage to chronic proportions (like 100%)

Anyone got any ideas as to what gives ?

stu140103
22-04-2003, 10:44 PM
> Problem is when I startup Outlook Express I get
> constant stream of HDD activity but ctrl/alt/del
> dosesn't show anything fresh
>
> Is something going on in the background that I should
> know about ?

How long does this last??? a few mins/sec???
if that is the case i also get this two when i go to the OE Home page :)

How many folders/ e-mail do you have????

Woof
22-04-2003, 10:53 PM
# folders = 20+

I think I have just 'solved' the "problem" - it may well have just been catching up on compacting in the background

I logged off a moment ago and composed a reply to clearnet, letting the hdd grind away in the background ignoring 100% cpu load and finally it stopped after several minutes

Quite probably I had previously NOT had OE set to compact in the background (false economy I'm now thinking)

Thanks stu

Woof
22-04-2003, 10:56 PM
HOWEVER, while the extra hdd activity seems to have resolved itself I am still concerned about this:-

Then with undue haste I ran Ad-aware 5.83 but changed the settings to get deeper into things (like Scan Registry/Quick Scan) and it came up with one :-
Type = K
System = Alexa
Details = software\microsoft\internet explorer\extension\{ blah blah }

So I nixed it

Pheonix
22-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Go to www.lavasoftusa.com and you can find out about it there. It is nothing to do with the running of IE or OE. It is a tracking type program. Maybe Alexa paid a lot to MS for it to be included?

bmason
22-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Yeah, it comes with IE. I don't know if it is actually doing anything by default.

I've never had any problems removing it.

Adaware 6 is out. It may do a better job of removing it.

DUNK
23-04-2003, 12:30 AM
You'll find that every time you do a repair to IE, using the remove/rapair thingy...Alexa comes back!...Just remember to run AdAware after each "repair' & all should be well !
BTW...Does anyone know how to remove it permanently?
Regards..Dunk.

stu140103
23-04-2003, 11:39 AM
> You'll find that every time you do a repair to IE,
> using the remove/rapair thingy...Alexa comes
> back!...Just remember to run AdAware after each
> "repair' & all should be well !
> BTW...Does anyone know how to remove it permanently?
> Regards..Dunk.

nope ;)

Jim B
23-04-2003, 12:30 PM
From http://www.sitepoint.com/article/888/5
Alexa

Released in 1997, Alexa is a search toolbar that integrates with your browser and provides a variety of links and functions. It's currently partnered with Google, and was bought out by Amazon in 2000, so you might think Alexa is a completely aboveboard and innocent program. In many ways, it is.

However, it ran afoul of the law in 2001 when it was accused of selling private information to Amazon without users' consent, and paid over $1.9 million after a court found Alexa guilty of violating users' privacy.

Although Alexa claims to have cleaned up its act, Ad-Aware still lists Alexa as adware. Personally, I'd certainly be leery of having this program on my machine. Note, though, that Alexa comes bundled with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Therefore, everyone will have this on their machine at one point or another. It's safe to remove.

More info Here (http://members.blue.net.au/felgall/brsie9.htm)