PDA

View Full Version : stumped

shaawing
22-04-2003, 03:19 PM
I have a PC running Windows XP Pro that won't dial up to the internet. It has NAV 2002 which keeps disabling itself and it won't show any network connections in the start menu. System Restore seems to have been disabled too or never was enabled. I have run AVG with the latest updates and managed to get NAV running once too with what it tells me are the latest updates with no virus found. Whenever you start IE, it just freezes. Help.

shaawing
22-04-2003, 03:24 PM
i know there is a repair option during XP installation. Am wondering if there is a better way or how to do repair.

shaawing
22-04-2003, 05:19 PM
anyone?

tweak\'e
22-04-2003, 05:45 PM
sorry i don't have XP but it sounds like tcp/ip has gone awol so try resetting tcp/ip. can you make any new network connections?

Susan B
22-04-2003, 06:02 PM
If you are trying to run NAV and AVG at the same time it is no wonder you are having problems. They will not play nicely together. If you want both on your computer at the same time you must disable one before allowing the other to run.

First thing I would do is completely uninstall NAV, including from the registry, etc etc (use a good registry cleaner) and then if you want to continue running NAV make sure that AVG is disabled and has not loaded itself at startup. You can then install NAV again, download the latest program updates and install them, then get it to update to the latest virus definitions from Symantec.

Let us know how you get on.

shaawing
22-04-2003, 06:21 PM
thanks so much for the replies, the problem was occurring b4 I installed AVG, one of the first things I tried was to uninstall NAV but unable to, windows installer would just hang, whenever I try to access network connections the whole system just slows to a crawl. When I open Task manager, there are no out of control processes but whole system is crawling. HELP!!!

shaawing
22-04-2003, 06:25 PM
just went into System Information and got message "Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation Software. Windows management files may be moved or missing."

Jim B
22-04-2003, 11:26 PM
When you say you can't dial the internet, have you got a connection setup or can you not do that.
If you go to Start/Connect to/ Show all connections does anything show here.