PDA

View Full Version : Win2k setup boot problem...

Scotty D
21-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Here is another one for you:

I have run the win 2000 setup program from the CD after using win98 start up disks -fdisk, formatted, after the long copying of files it the says "ready to reboot remove floppy disk", I do, it doesn't boot? The BIOS is set to HDD first, No go.

I use win98 start up disks to look at HDD it is missing boot.ini , is that the problem, if so how do I get one that I can use? It has NTdetect.com and Ntldr and a couple of $NTLDR$ directories.

Help please, Thank you.

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Try making boot.ini and setting it to read only and hidden on your C: drive, copy and paste this and give it a shot:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2003, 08:55 PM
> I have run the win 2000 setup program from the CD
> after using win98 start up disks -fdisk, formatted,
> after the long copying of files it the says "ready to
> reboot remove floppy disk", I do, it doesn't boot?
> The BIOS is set to HD first, No go.

BTW - Just thought...
BIOS should be fine if its just a re-format and all, shouldnt matter if it searches and fails other thigns first, but also, in Win2K, you dont need to use FDisk unless partitioning coz it does it itself within the setup :-)

Hope this helps, post back with the results!

Cheers

Chiling_Silence

rayonline
21-04-2003, 09:17 PM
does not windows 2000 make 3 win2k boot setup disks for u to use?? check the cd's txt file for methods....

alt: u use the bootable win2k CD.

when inside do a format or carry on with current condition of the HDD.

if u wanting dual boot: use the 3 disks or boot CD and specify diff folder to install. alt: u may do it in win98 too (unsure).

Scotty D
21-04-2003, 09:36 PM
The win2k doesn't seem to boot? I have made the 4 boot up disks, they didn't help.

Will try that boot.ini text provided.

thanks

Scotty D
21-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Shows how much I know about dos, it does have boot.ini obviously hidden, howto look at it? Any other ideas?

Cheers

Merlin
21-04-2003, 11:42 PM
If the error message is either a horizontal cursor that blinks or "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT", set the first primary partition as active using fdisk.

Next time state the error message or expect vague answers.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
- Albert Einstein

Scotty D
22-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Fair enough,

OK I have fdisked(set active), formatted, used win98 start up to see win2k CD, from win2k CD's internal folders win2000/PRO/I386 I have run winnt.exe its sets up including copying files, it then says ready to reboot remove any floppies, i then press enter for reboot, it then starts up and and fails to find bootable disk? "press F1 to try again or F2 to enter setup"(BIOS). I then use 98 start up disk to see C: and all the files win2000 copied across? That's about it? As far as I am aware that should boot by itself to continue setup, is there a program like winnt.exe (which will start setup including copying again) I can point it to?

I also tried to run winnt.exe after fdisking and setting active(no format as I hoped it might offer NTFS) but it says (funnily enough) no space!

Cheers for your input.

Merlin
22-04-2003, 02:40 AM
Ensure that the hard drive has an uncorrupted master boot record. Boot off a startup floppy (DOS version irrelevant) and type FDISK/MBR at the command prompt. Press Enter.

Also ensure BIOS is configured correctly.

And what CD version of Windows 2000 are you using since the I386 directory is accessble from the root of the CD for both Server and Professional.

Don't tell the world what you are doing - someone might take you seriously.
- Anonymous

mikebartnz
22-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Use the Win 98 boot disk to delete all partitions and then set your Bios to boot from the CD and install from there. Y^ou can partition and all from the installation.