PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Flight Simulator

fritz
21-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Since I have changed my operating system from 'Windows 98SE' to 'Windows XP' I have trouble running 'Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002' Acasinally the picture gets corrupted and the ground details are not very good. Got a G-Force 4 128kb video card an Athlon 2400+ CPU. and 512 Mb of Ram. Is there anything I can do? I was told, that FS is compatible with 'Windows XP.' Any ideas please, - would appreciate it.
thanks,
Fritz

stu140103
21-04-2003, 06:00 PM
**Bump**

Dolby Digital
21-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Have you checked the nVidia site for the latest drivers for your video card... and the Microsoft site for any FS2002 patches. Of course, in general XP IS compatible with XP.... its just sometimes you can have conflicts :D

robsonde
21-04-2003, 11:51 PM
I run flight sim 2002 on XP and have had very few problems.

when you changed to XP did you upgrade or reformat and reinstall???

if you installed flight sim on 98 then upgraded to xp, you could look at reinstalling the flight sim.

I have found the the graphice can go a bit funky if you task switch in and out of the game

BTW how long have you been flying the sim??
I have had my copy since about this time last year and i love it.

Craigb
22-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Hi all Flight simmers
I've been using FS2002 for a while too. I am running XP but my Ram and graphics card aren't up to yours. Have had problems with freezing up now and again but that only seems to happen if I crank up the settings. Have managed to improve things by setting up a gaming profile which shuts down everything thats not needed to run the game. That has improved things emmensly. Specially after installing the Force feedback joy stick which degraded the performance somewhat. If you are having more problems, try searching the flight simming sites that are around.
Hope this is of help.
Craig

fritz
24-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. Will will update the driver for my card, - not quite sure how to do that. To your question 'robsonde' I have been playing round with Flight Sim for about a year now. I love it too, the only problem is, that it is very time absorbing. Sometimes I just enter all the neccessary coordinates put it on auto pilot and check from time to time where it got to. I did not actually upgrade to XP, - but got a brand new computer. Thanks again,
Fritz

robsonde
24-04-2003, 12:37 PM
As for updteing you video drives go to www.nvida.com and look for a driver pack for g-force cards. this will download at 10-15MB of stuff.
once you have than just run it and follow the "next" buttons.

BTW you say "ground details are not very good" is this compared to when in win98 or just not as good as you expected??
you can download new map files the make the hills looks better but as for things like building and roads well thats just how it is.

I often just fly IFR and autopilot much the same way as you.....

the other thing I do is I have a saved flight that has me about 50 miles north of wgtn at 4000ft and I just practice my landings.

what aircraft do you fly the most?? I still stick with the default.

fritz
24-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, have installed the latest drivers for my video card, - but still no luck; Flight Sim still hasn't got off the ground. (no pun intended) properly.(no pun intended) There must be some conflict somewhere; haven't tried the patches yet.
Thanks anyway,
Fritz

fritz
24-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks robsonde, to answer your questions, - the ground details are very poor compared to how they appear on my other Windows 98SE computer. Like you, I have created a flight 10 miles from Wellington Airport to practice my landings. - also enjoy watching the replays from all angles. For the landing practice I usually use the Cessna. However, for long flights I prefere the Boing 747.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Good luck
Fritz

Craigb
24-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi there fritz
Try this (http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) link. It explains how to set up different configurations on your computer to run games or use normally. It will free up some memory and might help solve your problem. It takes a while to go through it and was a bit confusing to me to start with, but resulted in the ability to run my computer in a game mode which meant that all the things that don't need to be running (virus checker, firewall to name a few) when playing games are turned off. Only thing is you have to restart when you want to change configurations. Also I recommend that you find the NZ 150 mesh scenery if you haven't already got it. A varst improvement on the default MS scenery.
Cheers
Craig

fritz
27-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks Craigb, I will certainly try the site you suggested. No, I haven't got the mesh scenery installed, - might give that a try too, after my initial problems have been sorted out. You mentioned the virus checker, - that's a thought - I'll try and turn my Norton checker off and see how it goes. Can't do it right now as I am in the middle of a huge download, only another seven hours to go.
Thanks again for your help,
Good luck to you,
Fritz

fritz
27-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks Craigb for your suggestions. Have tried everything, from tweaking to installing the latests drivers for my G-Force4 graphics card, - no luck, Flight Sim just won't get off the ground. No, I haven't got NZ 150 mesh scenery installed, will look into it once I got it running properly, at the moment it's all up in the air, - well not quite.
Cheers,
Fritz

Craigb
30-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi there again
Have had a look on one of the simming forums. I have found the www.avsim.com is pretty good. Do a search on that site and it might throw up something that might give you an idea. This (http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=121&topic_id=105214&mesg_id=105214&page=) thread looks similar to yours.
Good luck
Craigb