PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP and Outlook Express

GrahamB
20-04-2003, 05:30 PM
I have installedervice Pack 1 but still find that if I try to transfer multiple emails from one folder to another, the sysem gives an error message and reverts to what I believe is called SAFE MODE (600 x 480 screen)

I can transfer two screens- full (66 messages), but if I try three screen -full (99 messages) if fails. Interestingly, when I first tried a big transfer (after updating to SP1) I tried 1300 odd messages. It started the transfer, went into error, and upon restart all but 110 messages had transferred. But I cannot transfer a 100!

Any ideas, other than trying a new email programme? And if that IS the solution, what is the recommended alternative (I hate Outlook!!!).

TFYH

Regards
Graham Bockett

Susan B
20-04-2003, 05:50 PM
The amount of emails you can transfer may have a direct bearing on your system specs and the amount of RAM your computer has. It may be a nuisance but limiting the number transferred could be your only option.

I am at a loss as to why you would want to regularly transfer a large number of emails.

Susan B
20-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Oh, I forgot, Eudora is an excellent alternative to Outlook Express. It is free for the sponsered version (ie adverts).

Thomas
21-04-2003, 12:14 AM
S,I notice outlook is not mentioned much here,why is that?

godfather
21-04-2003, 02:15 AM
> I notice outlook is not mentioned much here,why is that?

IMHO Outlook is vastly superior (and less of a problem) than Outlook Express in operation.
Also IMHO Eudora is so simple and straightforward, that it leaves both behind, as a straight Email application.

Outlook is a good Organiser type Email program while Eudora does one thing only, Email.

The reason Outlook is probably not mentioned much here is that, unlike Outlook Express, its not supplied with the OS. Its part of Microsoft Office (or some handheld PCs) and not everyone has MS Office installed, due to the high cost.

Thomas
21-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the info God.Will have a look at Eudora.
What is this IMHO I see so much?
I use O/E and in the 18 months I have had a compu it has never missed a beat.

stu140103
21-04-2003, 12:48 PM
> What is this IMHO I see so much?

Have a guess??? :) any ideas??? :)

Thomas
21-04-2003, 01:00 PM
I was never very good at games,so..........

DUNK
21-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Try... "In My Humble Opinion"

Trouble is....They're very rarely......."Humble" !!!

Oooh!...I'm for it now!!!

Thomas
21-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Hmmm,so thats it,well and truly over used I would say!.

GrahamB
22-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks for your comments Susan. I have heaps of RAM, and my old Win95 machine with 32 meg of RAM does the job better than WinXP.

As for why I need this ability, as Wiliam M S Gates said:
"Yours not to reason why, yours but to do AND DIE!

Regards
Graham Bockett

GrahamB
23-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Go godfather!

IMHO Outlook sucks big time! I have a perfectly legal copy, have used it, and do not give it disk space. For Info Management I use ACT 2000.

Regards

Graham Bockett

Susan B
23-04-2003, 01:45 PM
> Thanks for your comments Susan. I have heaps of RAM, and my old Win95 machine with 32 meg of RAM does the job better than WinXP.

Weird....

> As for why I need this ability, as Wiliam M S Gates said:
> "Yours not to reason why, yours but to do AND DIE!

Ouch!! OK, point taken. :p :D