PDA

View Full Version : I can't download a .exe fil - opens as .pdf??

Johhny Cat
20-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Hi there,

I cant seem to download any file ending with .exe. Instead - after a while - it tells me that it is not a pdf file. This is a problem...eeek.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Johnny

(Windows 98, SE)

cyberchuck
20-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Hey

Have you tried clearing your cache?
In Internet Explorer > Tools > Options
Click Delete Files (Delete your cookies at the same time if you want)
Click Clear History (unless your using your internet history for something inparticular)
Try Again! :D

CyberChuck

Johhny Cat
20-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Still no luck. I have tried reinstalling IE5.5 but no change there. Any other suggestions?

Most appreciated.

Pheonix
20-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a file extension association is wrong. Damned if I can remember how to get there in Win98 now. Maybe someone else can explain how to get there.

Greg S
21-04-2003, 01:58 AM
Try taking a look at your file associations.

Go Start | Settings | Folder Options | File Types. Now scroll down and have a look at Application and Adobe Acrobat Document by highlighting them.

Under File type details, Application should show Extension = Exe, Open With = Spool32.
Adobe Acrobat Document should show Extension = PDF and Open with = ACRORD32.

If the above is different to what you see, post back and we'll give some further steps to take.

Can you also say what happens when you double-click any other .exe file you may have, like maybe an old programme you downloaded and installed successfully previously. Also how long has this been a problem - did it ever work fine, and have you done anything just before the symptoms started to show up?

Johhny Cat
21-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Most appreciated.

I had a look at file types as per your suggestion. Under Application the info reads as follows:

Extension: EXE
Content type: application/x-msdownload
Opens with: [Executable]

The Adobe information is as it should be.

So there does seem to be a discrepancy with the application information as you provided it. Not sure whether this is significant??

The problem has been happening for about 2 weeks and yes it happened soon after I installed and then uninstalled a computer game. All my programmes open fine however. I can not however open a .exe file on the PC World disc, it simply does nothing.

As a short-term measure I installed Netscape Navigator and it allows me to download and install a .exe file . Obviously this is a short-term solution. Having said that Navigator looks like quite a good browser and seems easy to use. Still it would be nice to clear this problem up. Any further suggestions?

Many thanks guys.

Johnny

Jim B
21-04-2003, 11:56 PM
This is a long shot but worth a try.

Internet Explorer 5 and 6 do not support Netscape-style plug-ins ,and can cause download problems with .exe files

Apple has provided an ActiveX control that restores the QuickTime plug-in for Internet Explorer versions 5.5 SP2 and 6

Quicktime has released an updated version compatible with the versions of IE listed above. Uninstall Quicktime. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry key. Export the key and then delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

You will, of course, need to reinstall QuickTime with a version compatible with your IE version.

metla
22-04-2003, 12:37 AM
when you say download...i presume your browser is trying to open the file?

try right clicking and saving to ya hard drive,once its there see if it opens as it should,....

Or just go into ie properties and hit the restore default button.

tools>internet options>advanced>restore default.

Greg S
22-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Johnny, when you highlight Application, does it allow you to click on the Edit button, or is it greyed out?

One thing you could try is the Internet Explorer Repair Tool - I think it's found under Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, although I don't seem to have it.

Having said that, your existing solution in my opinion, to use Netscape 7, is a far better option - it's a great browser!

Greg S
22-04-2003, 11:28 AM
K, I found the repair tool - go:

Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information | Tools | Internet Explorer Repair Tool