PDA

View Full Version : Clear = NO throughput - Why ?

Woof
20-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Clear.net.nz seems to be having major problems with bandwidth

Have they got too many customers (ie: customer to modem ratio now too weak) or is there something even more significant and therefor concerning ?

I cannot even get my email to download so they cannot blame anyone else but themselves

If I cannot uncover a satisfactory reason for this lack of throughput out of their very own servers then I must find a new ISP (no, NOT ihug - remember, "Ginge is a Dog")

Woof
20-04-2003, 12:10 AM
For example:-

"The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'xx-xxxxx', Server: 'pop.clear.net.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"

and:-
"Your first intranet local router is slow or unavailable. Yellow indicates the router is congested. Red indicates the router is so congested it is dropping data or has temporarily failed. Note that some occasional dropping of data is normal, because data gets retransmitted automatically, but this causes slowdowns and traffic jams." (clear is this local router and the colour is RED)(pressF1 occaisionally gets yellow)

Woof
20-04-2003, 12:17 AM
and their website, http://www.clear.net.nz/, does not even start to download.(I tried there in the forlorn hope that they may have some prominent message to us customers ..............

Are they so arrogant as to not have any backup whatsoever ?!!!

or have they finally gone broke ?

stu140103
20-04-2003, 12:48 AM
It looks/sound like clear is having major problems.

Give them a brake, Thy might be trying to fix the problem at the moment.

Try & access them again in the morning.

also they website is very slow, They site might be having a DOS attack ???? How knows....

olldaddy76
20-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Hello Woof
It is very easy to criticize or is it observe others performance but are we all squeaky clean....CLEAR....Surely there are times when we all have a bad day and some when all goes right...but I checked and until just now i have been unable to get on to CLEAR at all for at least 5 hours but now I am on 1st time so I guess there may be credence in your observation......but please can any one tell me about the box or is it printer like icon which appears in the task bar SOMETIMES with the yellow or red small box beside it.......I only see it occasionally but I see it...is that the router you are looking at.....
But surely one of the reasons d'etre for Press F1 is just being squeaky or helpful ...and you have been both...Thanks....

Mike
20-04-2003, 11:21 AM
Clear really went downhill when they decided to turf ZFree, and it seems that in the last couple of months they've got even worse - more often than not I will not connect first time, sometimes it can be hours before I can connect. I do think that they've exceeded their capacity.

Mike.

stu140103
20-04-2003, 12:41 PM
The problem is when Telstra took over Clear.

When I use to be on dial up (i am now on ADSL with a different) Clear was my ISP they where not bad.

Also every one (servers) has they far share of problems e.g. Press f1 etc….

cyberchuck
20-04-2003, 12:46 PM
> The problem is when Telstra took over Clear.
What happened when Telstra took over Clear??

stu140103
20-04-2003, 12:53 PM
> > The problem is when Telstra took over Clear.
> What happened when Telstra took over Clear??

The service went bad, that is what happened when Telstra took over Clear & paradise etc…

Mike
20-04-2003, 02:09 PM
> > > The problem is when Telstra took over Clear.
> > What happened when Telstra took over Clear??
>
> The service went bad, that is what happened when
> Telstra took over Clear & paradise etc…

I'd agree with that

Mike.

cyberchuck
20-04-2003, 02:39 PM
So Telstra took over clear and BOOM Clears service now becomes dodgy? There must be some logical explanation behind it? I have friends using paradise and they haven't noticed much difference...

CyberChuck

Pheonix
20-04-2003, 02:53 PM
There has been though, 3 of my friends are now having trouble with getting on with their dial-ups. I think Telstra has decreased the available access or bandwidth, probably for economic reasons.

roofus
20-04-2003, 04:28 PM
oh :-(
i thought "Clear = No throughput - Why?"
Was going to be some sorta mathematical problem for us to solve!

Woof
21-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Okay, so can anyone tell me just WHERE on the Clear website is any form of status report

At least ihug (Ginge is a dog, remember) has a 'Message of the Day' page giving some insite into their ups and downs, bless them (eg: ihug = http://www.ihug.co.nz/cgi-bin/motd.pl )

You see, some of us do have a backup ISP through which we can still connect and therefor visit the main ISP's home pages to maybe get updated on those 'inevitable' problems.

Tomorrow I shall ring them (toll free) to enquire further, given their first attempt to fob me off is so far off the mark - pity help any newbie following their advice !

Susan B
22-04-2003, 06:27 PM
> oh :-(
> i thought "Clear = No throughput - Why?"
> Was going to be some sorta mathematical problem for
> us to solve!

Geez Roofus, that's a bit rich!! We hardly ever get a good laugh on this forum these days, thanks to the efforts of those who grizzled about the OTs.

Now you are whining because this is on topic!! There is no pleasing some people.... :rollseyes:

;-) :p :D