PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Servers and National Traffic

cyberchuck
19-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Hey
Just something I've been pondering over. Let's say I get Jetstream (it's not going to happen in a hurry though :p), anyway, if I were to tell IE to use Xtra's Proxy Server (I am aware it only handles HTTP and FTP Connections), then technically would I be getting charged for accessing sites like www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com) as I am going through Xtra's Proxy, therefore making it local traffic for me and international traffic for Xtra's Proxy??
Or would it still count as international traffic, and if so why?

CyberChuck

robsonde
19-04-2003, 10:32 PM
might i suject try it and see........

I would think that it will be local traffic but you never can tell......

stu140103
19-04-2003, 10:33 PM
> Hey
> Just something I've been pondering over. Let's say I
> get Jetstream (it's not going to happen in a hurry
> though :p), anyway, if I were to tell IE to use
> Xtra's Proxy Server (I am aware it only handles HTTP
> and FTP Connections),

To what I know about Xtra Proxy Server (or any ISP proxy server) it does not matter if you do or do not tell IE to use a proxy, because you connection goes throw it.

I know I am right about this :)

>then technically would I be
> getting charged for accessing sites like
> www.microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com)
> as I am going through Xtra's Proxy, therefore making
> it local traffic for me and international traffic forXtra's Proxy??

Nope

> Or would it still count as international traffic, and if so why?

Yep, because you sent a request for that web page which mean the xtra proxy need to check to see if that page you request is current still current on the xtra proxy.

Some one else might have a better explanation :)

Hope this helps.

cyberchuck
20-04-2003, 08:03 AM
> To what I know about Xtra Proxy Server (or any ISP proxy server) it
> does not matter if you do or do not tell IE to use a proxy, because you
> connection goes throw it.
>
> I know I am right about this :)

Really? When I tell IE to use the Xtra proxy it does... All my traffic on NETSTAT heads off to proxy.xtra.co.nz, and when i decided to go to www.thissitedoesnotexist.com (http://www.thissitedoesnotexist.com) it came back with an error log from Squid...
Are you telling IE to use a LAN proxy, or a proxy on the dialup connection? because if your telling it to use a Lan proxy it won't work due to the fact that there is no machine on your network called proxy.xtra.co.nz

>> then technically would I be
>> getting charged for accessing sites like
>> www.microsoft.com
>> as I am going through Xtra's Proxy, therefore making
>> it local traffic for me and international traffic forXtra's Proxy??

> Nope
So that would be like my network? Even though the clients are using the hosts proxy server, the clients are only thinking of it as LAN traffic, it's the proxy server who has the Internet Traffic...

> Yep, because you sent a request for that web page which mean the
> xtra proxy need to check to see if that page you request is current still
> current on the xtra proxy.
So how would one find out what pages Xtra are so nicely keeping in their proxy?? And how could one prove that because if we say thatwww.hotmail.com (http://www.hotmail.com) is on the Xtra's Proxy (which the login form no doubt is), and then I decide to visit www.hotmail.com (http://www.hotmail.com), what's to stop Xtra for charging me for the international traffic even though it came off their proxy??

CyberChuck

cyberchuck
20-04-2003, 04:14 PM
*Just bumps this up above the error message ;)*

-=JM=-
20-04-2003, 07:32 PM
I think that if you're with Xtra and you go through the Xtra proxy server. YOu will get charged.

Though if you can manage to go through another proxy server you may not be charged.

cyberchuck
21-04-2003, 01:02 PM
> I think that if you're with Xtra and you go through the Xtra proxy
> server. YOu will get charged.
>
> Though if you can manage to go through another proxy server you may
> not be charged.
Thanks for that.
So if I was to help myself to the Ihug proxy which is free (and yes I have used it with my Xtra dialup connection as a test), then there would be less chance of me getting charged for international traffic as Xtra would just think I spend a lot of time at Ihug's Website ?:|

agent
21-04-2003, 02:28 PM
It would be blazingly obvious in their logs that you are spending a lot of time at proxy.ihug.co.nz or whatever the URL to their proxy is. Then they may take you to court for avoiding international traffic. And some Jetstream accounts give you free, unlimited national traffic anyway.

cyberchuck
21-04-2003, 02:52 PM
> It would be blazingly obvious in their logs that you are spending a lot
> of time at proxy.ihug.co.nz or whatever the URL to their proxy is. Then
> they may take you to court for avoiding international traffic. And some
> Jetstream accounts give you free, unlimited national traffic anyway.
Ah, that's the basis of the idea - as Xtra, Ihug and a lot of ISP's offer free national traffic on JetStream, then in order to save on international charges you use a free Proxy Server...
If Mobil were to charge 10c per cubic [volume] so you can use their compressed air, and BP were to say Hey, we have free compressed air! where do you think most people would head off to? Mobil couldn't sue people because they are utilizing BP's free service

CyberChuck

agent
21-04-2003, 07:27 PM
There are dedicated people... which is why Microsoft still has a large customer base.

Anyway, there are a number of public proxies out there. Just search for a list of them, and find one in NZ. Course, they're not exactly blindingly fast, as your request goes to the public proxy (meaning many others share it), it finds your data, and sends it back to you - not exactly fast.

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2003, 07:58 PM
What if, say, I host FTP for a friend in England to get some stuff off me (Well.. Relatives in Aus. too...) and ask them to connect thru Ihug's proxy, for a one off download/upload of a hundred odd megs.. Id be on Ihug's plan with free National Bandwidth (Jetstream starter), would that cost?

agent
21-04-2003, 08:18 PM
New idea: isn't the data just routed through the "public" proxy? So in effect, they would actually know where the request was coming from? Unless the proxy doesn't forward client info etc.

-=JM=-
21-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I spose it depends on how far they look into it. The requested IP is always in there somewhere so I don't see why Xtra can't look at it.

I suggest you have a look and see what happened to Net4U as I think they were doing something similar.

Chilling_Silently
22-04-2003, 11:31 AM
What about a Kiwi using some US Proxy? Still international traffic or is it national?

Perhaps somebody should email this threads URL to Xtra and find out?

cyberchuck
22-04-2003, 01:43 PM
> What about a Kiwi using some US Proxy? Still international traffic or is it
> national?
International - the intial request is going to the US, however by using an NZ proxy the initial request is staying within NZ! (the basis of my idea!)

> Perhaps somebody should email this threads URL to Xtra and find out?
I have... They've replied so far with an auto reply saying they will reply within 24hrs! (times-a-tickin')

CyberChuck