PDA

View Full Version : my computer turns itself off, then restarts.

ssssss
19-04-2003, 09:17 PM
About once a week I am getting this.
The screen goes black, then the computer immediately reboots itself, doing the scan disc on the way.
Is this a typical windows problem? (Ihave Windows ME) or is it something more sinister? I suspect a trojan and someone trying to annoy me!

cyberchuck
19-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey
Maybe your computers saving power for our proposed power crisis? :p
Have you ran a Virus Scan recently to check for trojans and any other nasties?? - A free Virus scanner (AVG) is available at www.grisoft.com (http://www.grisoft.com)
Otherwise, have you added anything to your system recently?? more Ram, a PCI card or something which may be draining the computers power? What wattage is your PSU?

CyberChuck

ssssss
19-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Hi - Haven't added any hardware. I don't know what a PSU is!
It does seem to happen when I have several things running though.
Will look at the virus scan thanks. I have McAfee but it is a year out of date. Do I have to unistall it, before using AVG?

ssssss
19-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Yes - i'm thick the PSU is the power supply - but all is the same as when bought new. It is a HP computer

Graham L
22-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Have you got XP? Change the setting so that it doesn't restart on errors, so you will get a blue page which might tell you what is causing this.

ssssss
22-04-2003, 07:18 PM
>Have you got XP? - no I have ME

TallPoppy
22-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Make sure the CPU fan is working consistently and the CPU is not overheating

bk T
22-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Does it shuts and then restarts at a regular interval or at random?

Looks like the problem is with your PSU. Check for any insecure cable connection inside the box. If everything looks fine, then I may suggest you to swap the PSU with a known good one.

Good luck

mikebartnz
22-04-2003, 10:09 PM
It sounds more like a dodgy ram problem to me.

jontext88
23-04-2003, 12:04 AM
check your bios power management settings & device wake settings.
ie keyboard and mouse wakeup S1 /pos
if they are wrong , ie extra wakeup settings, then all sorts of things will suddenly have your machine shutting down and restarting.

PoWa
23-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Ahh blame it on windows...ME is known to do crazy stuff like that...I used to run it for a year back in 2001 until XP came out. Then I never looked back...wouldn't want to either, WinME was crashing a miniumum of 4times a day.

Want to know how to make it bluescreen itself? Try going through the add hardware process...then make it scan your floppy drive twice for new drivers and it will immediately bluescreen :)

dipstick01
23-04-2003, 10:48 AM
One simple thing to check is your power lead in the power socket and the back of your PC. It may sound simple but it solved a very frustrating session of trying to find why my pc was rebooting at random.