PDA

View Full Version : 3G on its way to NewZeland!!!

nzstevem
19-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Vadafone has not confermed it yet but there is a very high possibility that they have no choice to buy into new 3G Network pretty much next year is when it should start.. video on your phone/really really fast mobile internet.. flag telecom's new 027 CDMA network.. the new W-CDMA network will kick telecom's arse! W for wideband.. heres some info.. telecom decided to be cheap and but a network that aparently cost 140-170 million.. instead of a new 3G network for around 544 million.. well they left vodafone no choice as to upgrade to the new 3G to compete.. this means they will have to drop their old GSM/GPRS network.. meaning all new phones.. very good if you're a tecno buff but very expensive for everyone else.. well lets see whats going to happen.. as i heard telecom have only chosen the cheap CDMA as a 4G may be just around the corner.. offering unlimited possibilities.. killing Vodafone again!

and 2-3 things to note about the networks currently avalible.. 025 is very dodgie if i get hold of a scanner i can listen to your phone calls.. plus it only has around 2-3 years of life left.. so dont buy an 025 phone!
027 is hell dodgie with people recieving other peoples emails, and crosover in the voice network..
021 has 128 bit encryption.. very hard to crack and pretty much the safest network you can find.. GSM all the way.. till 3G that is

agent
19-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Honestly, what do you expect? Technology is always getting better, so why wouldn't 4G be "just around the corner", though it's likely that it's launch will be pushed back for various reasons.

Frankly, those Telecom ads where they have people describing what they want to be able to do on their phones are completely stupid. They really put me off Telecom, and I have the uncomfortable feeling that, despite Telecom saying "it's where we're going", I seriously doubt that all those things will happen within the next 10 years.

And as for having to upgrade your phone if you're on Vodafone, did you stop to think that there will be massive public disapproval? Vodafone holds the biggest customer base for a mobile network in New Zealand, and are therefore likely to keep their current networks for backwards compatibility. The only way they'll get me on a brand new phone is if they dish out new phones of your choice to all customers whose current phones wouldn't work with 3G, or if the price of those phones comes down. Radically down.

PoWa
19-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Haven't America already had video phones for quite a few years now?? I still couldn't understand why NZ was still only releasing PXT mobiles.

If they do bring in 3G or whatever, they better bring out some decent quality phones with it. (High resolution, full colour, encryption etc).

They better not be too expensive either, otherwise why would people bother paying for a phone that is $1500?? You can get a decent computer that does much better!

cyberchuck
19-04-2003, 07:04 PM
> Haven't America already had video phones for quite a few years now??
> I still couldn't understand why NZ was still only releasing PXT mobiles.
That's the same reason as why America can show movies long before they are released in New Zealand

> If they do bring in 3G or whatever, they better bring out some decent
> quality phones with it. (High resolution, full colour, encryption etc).
That'll be later.. it always is and the thing is, the more you want your phone to do, the more you will pay until Technology once more out does itself and the phone you want is no longer capable of the latest technologies... Welcome to the Technological World! :D

CyberChuck

robsonde
19-04-2003, 07:18 PM
with out trying to start a flame war.......

do you work for vodafone????

you do have very strong views of the telecome vs vodafone thing.

I dont think that 3G is going to be that good.....

most likely we will see very bad coverage. very expencive access, very bad customer service.

I am a vodafone user and I dont like them much. they have a good product that has bad service and backup.

have you looked at the vodafone web site?? most of the cool functions dont work and havent worked in a long time if ever.

they have a email to text service where you can have user@vodafone.net.nz and emails get sent to your phone. the problem is that it wont work.

sam m
19-04-2003, 07:24 PM
wow very informative one sided and interesting 1st post.

where did you say you worked?

sam m

cyberchuck
19-04-2003, 08:50 PM
> I dont think that 3G is going to be that good.....
Doesn't it come down to convenience at the end of the day? Personally I see no real point in having phones which are capable of browsing the internet and receiving large emails when it's easier for me to let my PC do it. That's like I personally find it pointless to know when I have email waiting, as it seems to be a waste of 20c or so, when I usually go on the internet every night (or two) and clear any outstanding emails.
But that's like the gas heater (this is going to be a bad example, but it was the first thing that came to my head), people no longer need to go out chopping firewood, and spending a minute or two starting a fire, then waiting for it to heat the entire house when they can instead have a gas bottle and then at the press of a button - hey presto! - instant heat!

> most likely we will see very bad coverage. very expencive access, very
> bad customer service
Didn't Vodafone have better coverage than telecom on last recall? I don't know as I hardly stray far from Akl anyway... Still it comes down to where you want to go, and who has the better service, coverage and deals for you.

CyberChuck

metla
19-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Im yet to meet anyone yet who wants to do anything more with there phone then to make phonecalls.

Yet we are forever forced to buy expensive cheaply built phones crammed full of useless gimmicks and services.

cyberchuck
19-04-2003, 09:31 PM
> Im yet to meet anyone yet who wants to do anything more with there
> phone then to make phonecalls.
Does that include SMS/Text messaging, because that's a useful tool (and not only for us teenagers :p). My mums work uses SMS messaging (well it's Email to SMS) to contact their technical engineers and systems administrators - they've managed to save on having to call cellphones to something like 20c per email/sms...

metla
19-04-2003, 09:36 PM
true,Text msging is a useful tool with widespread use.

But notice the market embraced it because it was a good idea,not because a company thought if they crammed it down out throats they could make some money off us.

sam m
20-04-2003, 12:24 AM
> Im yet to meet anyone yet who wants to do anything
> more with there phone then to make phonecalls.

meet me ;) I use mine for checking emails whenever out of town. Very convenient (not entirely necessary, just convenient)
>
> Yet we are forever forced to buy expensive cheaply
> built phones crammed full of useless gimmicks and
> services.

we are offered choices, we are adults we can decide, yes or no.

sam m

sam m
20-04-2003, 12:36 AM
> Vodafone has not confirmed it yet but there is a very
> high possibility that they have no choice to buy into
> new 3G Network pretty much next year is when it
> should start.. video on your phone/really really fast
> mobile internet.. flag telecom's new 027 CDMA
> network.. the new W-CDMA network

So in actual fact vodafone will be copying Telecoms CDMA.

>telecom decided to be cheap and but a network that aparently
> cost 140-170 million.. instead of a new 3G network
> for around 544 million.. well they left vodafone no
> choice as to upgrade to the new 3G to compete..

so vodafone have to change to keep up with the times

this
> means they will have to drop their old GSM/GPRS
> network.. meaning all new phones.. very good if
> you're a tecno buff but very expensive for everyone
> else.. well lets see whats going to happen.. as i
> heard telecom have only chosen the cheap CDMA as a 4G
> may be just around the corner.. offering unlimited
> possibilities.. killing Vodafone again!

Vodafone made this (http://uk.gsmbox.com/news/mobile_news/all/43407.gsmbox) much 2001. Who is killing who?

Rest of your post not worth responding to.

sam m

metla
20-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Fraid ive never met you,nor will i ever.

Responding in a thread doesn"t count as meeting someone.

As for being adults and we can decide?

Fine,in that case ill chose a brand new phone that can survive being dropped a few times,and that only has the same basic function as of a couple years ago,Id like to buy this at a price relevent to what its worth and i would like coverage outside the main centres.

As it stands now,theres a massive deadspot between National park and Tamranui.A good hour and a half drive with no coverage.

Nice one.

Phones are junk,and they are marketed as fashion accesories and promoted with gimmicks.

Coverage is disgusting.

Personally.id like to see both companies on there knees,Telecom more so......especially in regards to there Jetstream rip off...our internet access is the laughing stock of the world.....hell,even the laughing stock of the third world.

Even rRussia has it better.

sam m
20-04-2003, 02:00 AM
> Fraid ive never met you,nor will i ever.

umm... that was a joke (humour pill required)
>
> Responding in a thread doesn"t count as meeting
> someone.

oh shucks, and I thought that counted.

> As for being adults and we can decide?
>
> Fine,in that case ill chose a brand new phone that
> can survive being dropped a few times,and that only
> has the same basic function as of a couple years
> ago,Id like to buy this at a price relevent to what
> its worth and i would like coverage outside the main
> centres.

I would like a brand new car that costs 5c per 100km to run and if I fell asleep then it would drive me home, oh and I dont want to pay $100 for it. I have written to Santa and mine and your wish is on the way.
>
> As it stands now,theres a massive deadspot between
> National park and Tamranui.A good hour and a half
> drive with no coverage.

So donate a million bucks and someone will put one there.

> Phones are junk,and they are marketed as fashion
> accesories and promoted with gimmicks.

so are computers.....how did you write this post?
> Coverage is disgusting.
>
> Personally.id like to see both companies on there
> knees,Telecom more so......especially in regards to
> there Jetstream rip off...our internet access is the
> laughing stock of the world.....hell,even the
> laughing stock of the third world.

hahaha... just dowloaded 12MB in 8 minutes.... hahahaha

> Even rRussia has it better.

yeah but they drive Lada's. I laugh (literally) when I see those.

The original post was berating the incumbant Telecommunications Company and how by upgrading it's current network to the new CDMA network had sorely disadvantaged the opposition to follow suit with the end result being higher prices for all. I accept that is the case. A common response was that we have been inundated with new technology that is costly and to most (from I believe a purely egocentric view) believe unnecessary. I would agree with that as I do not need to have all the applications that are available on a phone, but then again I am but one person. Because I have no need to avail myself of these does not in anyway detract from those who would have a genuine need/desire/want to access the features that is available. As long as there are people who are willing to purchase products like this then there will be a market that would align itself in catering to their needs. If however you find that these are not to your liking then I respect that. However technology is a dynamic medium that will continue to develop products sometimes successfully, sometimes not. If your needs are of the minority ( and yes we are talking about the WHOLE world, not just your local community or the groups that you may associate yourself with) then unfortunately the products that you wish to obtain may no longer be cost effective to produce and maintain then the choices are simple. Live with it, or live without.

sam m

metla
20-04-2003, 02:10 PM
> > As for being adults and we can decide?
> >
> > Fine,in that case ill chose a brand new phone that
> > can survive being dropped a few times,and that
> only
> > has the same basic function as of a couple years
> > ago,Id like to buy this at a price relevent to
> what
> > its worth and i would like coverage outside the
> main
> > centres.
>
> I would like a brand new car that costs 5c per 100km
> to run and if I fell asleep then it would drive me
> home, oh and I dont want to pay $100 for it. I have
> written to Santa and mine and your wish is on the
> way.

Nice sarcasm,i was saying i wanted value for money and service.A product worth buying shouldn't be to much to ask.I wasn"t referring to anying unreasable or silly like you have done
> >
> > As it stands now,theres a massive deadspot between
> > National park and Tamranui.A good hour and a half
> > drive with no coverage.
>
> So donate a million bucks and someone will put one
> there.

Uh......Thats just stupid.
>
>
> > Phones are junk,and they are marketed as fashion
> > accesories and promoted with gimmicks.
>
> so are computers.....how did you write this post?

uh?.......Purpose built computer that has every bit of juice and feature used to its fullest.Marketing on any level does nothing for me.
> >
> > Personally.id like to see both companies on there
> > knees,Telecom more so......especially in regards
> to
> > there Jetstream rip off...our internet access is
> the
> > laughing stock of the world.....hell,even the
> > laughing stock of the third world.
>
> hahaha... just dowloaded 12MB in 8 minutes....
> hahahaha

Yeah....and?.....So you have slow net access as well.And i bet you paid the earth for it.
>
> > Even rRussia has it better.
>
> yeah but they drive Lada's. I laugh (literally) when
> I see those.
>
> The original post was berating the incumbant
> Telecommunications Company and how by upgrading it's
> current network to the new CDMA network had sorely
> disadvantaged the opposition to follow suit with the
> end result being higher prices for all. I accept that
> is the case. A common response was that we have been
> inundated with new technology that is costly and to
> most (from I believe a purely egocentric view)
> believe unnecessary. I would agree with that as I do
> not need to have all the applications that are
> available on a phone, but then again I am but one
> person. Because I have no need to avail myself of
> these does not in anyway detract from those who would
> have a genuine need/desire/want to access the
> features that is available. As long as there are
> people who are willing to purchase products like this
> then there will be a market that would align itself
> in catering to their needs. If however you find that
> these are not to your liking then I respect that.
> However technology is a dynamic medium that will
> continue to develop products sometimes successfully,
> sometimes not. If your needs are of the minority (
> and yes we are talking about the WHOLE world, not
> just your local community or the groups that you may
> associate yourself with) then unfortunately the
> products that you wish to obtain may no longer be
> cost effective to produce and maintain then the
> choices are simple. Live with it, or live without.
>
> sam m
>
>
>

Cant say i disagree with the last paragraph,i just think the teleco's should have decent coverage before brancing off into a thousand area's that wont imo sell.I may be wrong.....but hell.....ive been wrong before....

The pricing and speed of jetstream is also something that needs to be addressed before the market will take it up in any numbers.

sam m
20-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Metla there are choices out there. Some cost money some dont. You dont need a computer but you choose to have one. You dont need a mobile phone. You dont need highspeed internet connection. If you choose to have it then pay the price, if not then live with what you have. You maybe right that highspeed it too expensive here in NZ, but we live in NZ. If it is cheaper overseas then good for them. I consider jetstream a luxury and I believe that I am getting value for money. I hate it when people always compare NZ prices to overseas saying that they are better. If it is then MOVE!!!!!!

agent
20-04-2003, 03:11 PM
A real flame war...

Anyway, what I wanted to say, was that you can check your emails out of town using webmail. Any decent ISP, business, etc, should have webmail available to their customers/employees to check emails while away from their own computer/out of town/on holiday. Cellphone services are damned expensive, hell, even 20c text messaging is a rip off.

metla
20-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Auctally bud,Its a requirement that i do have a pc and a mobile phone.

But i can live without highspeed internet access,But that in no way justifies the price and lack of speed with so called jetstream.

And why not compare with other countries?...after all Aussie gets its feed from the very same pipeline we do.

Glad i dont have such a defeatest attitude,If it aint good enough it should be addresed,as with any service we pay for.

Simply put,there is no highspeed acccess in NZ,There is a mildly faster service at a redicules cost.Telecom could easily provide there service at a reasoable cost,there business tactics are no reason to move.Its at there end where it needs to be sorted.

Just like theres a lack of mobile phone coverage thru-out NZ.

Nice talking to ya,ill let the thread die.

move?....lmfao.

metla
20-04-2003, 03:38 PM
> A real flame war...
>
> Anyway, what I wanted to say, was that you can check
> your emails out of town using webmail. Any decent
> ISP, business, etc, should have webmail available to
> their customers/employees to check emails while away
> from their own computer/out of town/on holiday.
> Cellphone services are damned expensive, hell, even
> 20c text messaging is a rip off.

Heh....i wouldn"t call it a flame war,no ones calling anyone names and i can see where hes coming from.

Baldy
20-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Excellent thread so far.

Who ate the most easter eggs out of you guys?

roofus
20-04-2003, 04:25 PM
A conversation of ignorance. Lovely.
I wrote a university paper a few years ago ( got 94% so it must have been good) In this paper i talked about the future of communications and more specifically Instant Messaging and the integration with cell-phones.

I am only seeing now telecom providing phones with instant messaging services on them. But what i found through my research is that MMC (multimedia communications) is going to be a bit of a dive.

Yes there are people who will want/need to use a video capabile cell phone, but the problem is that this population represents about 5% of cellphone users.

Marketing companies bet there bucks on WAP being the hottest thing out. it turned out to be a flunk (something i predicted in my essay), It is probable that this too will happen with 3G. The reason being is when you strip away all the exciting techonology the actual usability isn't that great (just as some people have pointed out they can check there emails from a computer and don't need a cell phone for that) Now i can't be talking out my **** when i say this, because as of yet all telecommunications companies are being very slow in releasing 3G. Why? Because the prices are going to be very prohibitive, the international companies spent far too much on buying 3G frequencies and now they don't have the services that will give them a required ROI. (note: this is not the case in NZ where our 3G frequencies were sold cheaply)

and no 4G is not just around the corner, for the exact reasons i make above.

I am not denying that some day that these service will come, but don't expect them to be coming anytime soon in the comming years (at decent prices)

sam m
20-04-2003, 04:27 PM
> A real flame war...

nah just different points of view. (i apologise if this is sounding that way, i will make this my last post on this thread)
>

> Anyway, what I wanted to say, was that you can check
> your emails out of town using webmail. Any decent
> ISP, business, etc, should have webmail available to
> their customers/employees to check emails while away
> from their own computer/out of town/on holiday.
> Cellphone services are damned expensive, hell, even
> 20c text messaging is a rip off.

yeah i do that anyway but i have my own business and as i travel alot access to computer is often limited. mobile access is so convenient and saves me a lot of time so the cost is paltry in comparison.

my point is that companies supply products and services. if you want to use them then pay the cost. i think that is simple. i just cant see the point in slagging companies that do provide sdervice that you may not use or want, that makes no sense.

E.ric
21-04-2003, 07:21 AM
New social menace: a talking mobile phone
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/19/1050172799695.html

Baldy
21-04-2003, 11:45 AM
> New social menace: a talking mobile phone
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/19/1
> 50172799695.html (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/19/1050172
> 99695.html)

Where can I get one that says "Hi Snookums"

Baldy
21-04-2003, 11:47 AM
A mobile phone that didn't talk would be interesting. Maybe we would all have to learn morse-code or suchlike

rodb
21-04-2003, 12:25 PM
A telephone (mobile or landline) is for talking to someone. Messaging, internet access, etc. is for a computer (desktop or notebook).
Instead of spending hundreds of millions on mobile phone add-ons for yuppies and kids, spend it on providing cheap broadband at minimal cost for those of us who have their priorities right.
That's my opinion, anyway.