PDA

View Full Version : Win 32 Kernel Core Component net access

Toby
19-04-2003, 12:57 PM
My firewall alerts me everytime I access the net, that Win 32... is trying to access a web address. Although I don't give it permission and have removed it from the list of ok connections, logging on to the net the next day, after a cold start up, permission to connect is again requested.
What is this request for, how can I turn it off for good, or do I need to? When closing my net connection now, I don't get the prompt to close the internet connection window and must close the connection from the tray icon. Related? How do we get the prompt back?
thanks
Toby

tweak\'e
19-04-2003, 01:37 PM
what OS??

and have you scanned with an UP TO DATE antivirus?

Toby
19-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi tweak'e,
Ive read alot of your F1 responses.
Win98SE virus definitions (System Suite) are up to date. My son has been here for a couple of weeks and installed a Sony program to put his music onto his mini disc. I uninstalled most of the programs yesterday although one Sony update refuses to be uninstalled. Sorry I really don't want to complicate the issue.

tweak\'e
19-04-2003, 03:19 PM
what firewall are you useing?? it could be a legit app that the firewall is misreporting the name. why not just block it and leave it ??

otherwise when it goes to access the net then see what proccess/app are running in the background.

Toby
19-04-2003, 03:58 PM
tweak'e
thanks for the advice, the firewall is System Suites. The problem however has now gone away, I backed up all my system files from a SS backup made before my son came to stay and everything is now working ok. Just goes to show how important and usefull backups can be.I still would like to know how to get the disconnect screen to activate on our other school work PC. Its a 200mhz non mmx with 64M ram, Win 95 C, fresh rebuild 2 months ago, runs Nortons AV 2001 and Zone alarm. The internet connection has always had to be disconnected using the task bar icon on this PC.
thanks.

tweak\'e
19-04-2003, 04:06 PM
> the firewall is System Suites.

>runs Nortons AV 2001 and Zone alarm

zone alarm is a firewall. are you running 2 firewalls ?? what ver of zonealarm are you running?

Toby
19-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Sorry tweak'e, I don't want to drive you mad.
My PC is SE98 with System Suite anti virus and firewall. Since reverting to a system backup made before my son arrived, everything for that PC is now going fine.
The second PC is my daughters school one, and that one has to have the internet connection closed with the task bar icon, and I was just wondering if you had any thoughts for that PC while we were at it.

tommy
19-04-2003, 05:27 PM
> The second PC is my daughters school one, and that one has to have the internet connection closed with the task bar icon, and I was just wondering if you had any thoughts for that PC while we were at it.

In Internet explorer try going to Tools>Options>Connections>click on dial-up account>Settings>Advanced and put a tick in "Disconnect when connection may no longer be required". Click OK all the way out.