PDA

View Full Version : CDROM on secondary master - bios fail to boot.

rayonline
18-04-2003, 11:25 PM
hi,

i went inside my PC today. i put the cd on secondary master it the bios failed to boot. i put on 2nd slave and it booted. why??

i have one 3" floppy
one HDD (primary master)
one CD DRive.

Rayonline

robsonde
18-04-2003, 11:34 PM
some / most BIOS system will only boot from the first IDE controller.

that is just how it is.......

tweak\'e
19-04-2003, 12:46 AM
did you change the jumber ??

rayonline
19-04-2003, 11:27 AM
I am not trying to boot from the CD.
all I get is a black screen from the moment I turn the power on. and i do not hear any drives spinning up incl the HDD. i do not even see the bios screen.

the cdrom i have changed the jumper to MA from previous SL. did not work i changed back to SL. it also has something called CS which i did not use.

primary master = HDD
floppy = floppy
cdrom = secondary slave (now). secondary master did not work.

tweak\'e
19-04-2003, 11:47 AM
> i do not hear any drives spinning up incl the HDD. i do not even see the bios screen.

sounds like you bumped the main power connector.

rayonline
19-04-2003, 02:38 PM
HDD does not spin up - meaning after it detects the HDD it spins up.
i see hear fan going and lights on case etc etc.... jus not on the screen. i have unplugged and plugged the monitor back on.....

i do not think its the main power connector.

Pheonix
19-04-2003, 03:11 PM
On the first page of your BIOS, have you got all the secondary (master and slave) set to auto?

PoWa
19-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Try unplugging that wide, thin grey cable from the back of the cdrom drive, and then the power cable as well.

See if that lets it boot up.. and if it does, go through a process of elimination to see what works and what doesn't when you start plugging them back in again.

Hard drive should be Primary Master
Cd-rom drive should be Secondary Master

rayonline
19-04-2003, 11:58 PM
yes tried unpluggin the cdrom and back on - no help.
yes all in auto at the bios.....

primary master - hdd
secondary slave - cdrom now.

secodary master - cdrom does not work. any reason why not??

drys
20-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Rayonline Something you can check what type of cable are you using if its a 80 core ribbon it may have 3 plugs Blue,Grey,Black. Blue goes on Mother bd, Grey is considered slave & black is master. Might just make the difference.
Trev :)