PDA

View Full Version : Pavilion 8903 Win98 drivers

Jandy1
15-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Hi.

My sister doesn't know much about computers, that's why she got the virus. She also doesn't have a recovery CD for WinXP--she says the shop she got the computer from didn't include it with the computer.

Now, a friend of mine has reformatted the HD to get rid of the virus, and installed Win98 since we ALSO don't have the CD of WinXP.

Problem: we can't find Win98 drivers for graphics, sound and (most importantly) modem. I spent about 2 hours on DriverGuide looking for them yesterday, downloaded about 10 possibilities, no results.

I can't find out what chip is used for graphics since it's all HP assembled, and the same is true for the sound card and modem type...so any downloads I try are just a shot in the dark.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps,

Jandy

Jandy1
15-04-2003, 09:58 AM
And by the way...

...yes, I did phone the shop she got it from; they say she'll have to buy a new recovery CD--mega bucks--and I've also been to HP-NZ website, which doesn't have the drivers (looks like they don't have many, come to that, from comments of people on DriverGuide's site...)

Jandy

Jandy1
15-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Okay, finally found the specifications for the model on HP's Australian website. Any suggestions about where to locate drivers?

Thanks,

Jandy

metla
15-04-2003, 12:12 PM
As expected,Hp give out no details on the real specs of the chipsets used and offer no drivers,...nice one.

And without physiclly lookin inside the guts of your puter its gonna be near impossible to help.

And,knowing hp there modem is bound to be some obscure pos recalled off the american market for being junk and dropped into our market..

anyway,Your computer uses an Intel board with intergrated video,If i was you id pull the side off the case and get as much infomation off the board as you can find and go looking for intel motherboard drivers.

As for the modem.....Take it out and throw it away,Go visit http://www.qmb.co.nz/ and buy a new 56k mdem for 25 bucks......That imo will be the easist way.

metla
15-04-2003, 12:13 PM
And next time you or anyone else does a format,Go thru the device manager and take down notes of exactly what gear you have running.

Repo74
15-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Jandy,

Here is the product page for this model of the HP Pavilion 8903.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph06832&prodId=hppavilion67196&cc=za#P51_661

All the relevant information is there, but I can't understand why she didn't get the recovery cd's or at least the option to recover off the hidden partition on the hard drive. Quite a lot of the HP brand have at least this option. By memory you have to use the F10 key to get into this configuration. The F10 key press might not be on that model, but I remember something about HP going back to recovery cd's after a lot of their customers complained about not having the cd recovery option.

Regards Repo74

metla
15-04-2003, 10:11 PM
hmmm.....Thats better info then i could find,guess that will teach me for looking exclusively on the Nz hp site.

Pity the modem isn't actually listed by model and chipset as whats there still isn"t enough to track down a driver.

But,at least the original poster should now be able to track down the sound,video and mobo drivers.

What i would like to know is the name of the shop that sold this puter.

Trev0
16-04-2003, 08:50 AM
Talk with HP here first to find out if you have a partition and if not how much replacement disks are assuming they won't just send you some and what modem/graphics card you have, they can be reached in New Zealand, by calling
0 800-441-147 Monday to Friday 10am-9pm and Saturday to Sunday 10am-4pm.
If you don't get very far there try aida32 (http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32) for a free comp investigator, or the crippled free sandra (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&a=&lang=en) which will do the same (possibly better if you pay)

Trev

Robby
16-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Gidday,

I have a Pavilion 510a with no recovery disc, and this may help you with your 8903.

Hp Pavillions with no recovery cd comes with a hidden partition on your harddrive, that can be used to format and recover back to wnXP.

I'm not sure if this will still work seeing you have formatted and installed wn98, but there are a couple of places, that you could look to see if it is still possible.

Go to start, All programs, HP tools, and click 'hp pc system recovery' and follow the wizard.

Or another way is: close the computer, wait 30 secs, start the computer, and before windows starts to boot, press F10. if it starts the wizard for recovery, you may be in luck.

cheers,

Robby