PDA

View Full Version : Windows and Linux

caffy
14-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi, having read many topics about Windows and Linux, I couldn't help but wonder how exactly Linux works?

Can Linux be installed onto a computer that previously had Windows, or was built by a Microsoft-endorsed company? Does the computer have to be specially built?

If you want to install Linux, then will your programs/games/devices that work in Windows, work under Linux? I'm talking about things like Photoshop, MSN, Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, DVDrom, etc.

Or does Linux have the equivalent for the above-mentioned programs?

How can Linux be a free, downloadable (or easy to get hold of) program, when Windows is expensive? Are the programs for Linux free too?

I'm guessing that people's choice of OS depends on what exactly they want to get out of their computer, am I right? Like, Windows is probably more user-friendly for those not-so-capable computer users, and Linux is for tweaking, fiddling around with ur computer?

Another thought - if your computer is capable enough of doing so, could Linux be installed onto a computer that has Windows and run one of the OS at a time?

Cheers,
caffy

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2003, 03:03 PM
> Hi, having read many topics about Windows and Linux,
> I couldn't help but wonder how exactly Linux works?
>
> Can Linux be installed onto a computer that
> previously had Windows, or was built by a
> Microsoft-endorsed company? Does the computer have to
> be specially built?

Yep! it can go on any PC :-) Even an X-Box or PS2 :D

> If you want to install Linux, then will your
> programs/games/devices that work in Windows, work
> under Linux? I'm talking about things like Photoshop,
> MSN, Medal of Honour: Allied Assault, DVDrom, etc.

DVD's work, Photoshop has something in Linux to replace it called GIMP, and the games, well - WineX :-)
MSN and ICQ work under GAIM which comes with a lot of distro's

> Or does Linux have the equivalent for the
> above-mentioned programs?

Yes, sometimes better :-)

> How can Linux be a free, downloadable (or easy to get
> hold of) program, when Windows is expensive? Are the
> programs for Linux free too?
>
Mostly free - Linux gets its money from corporate and training etc...

> I'm guessing that people's choice of OS depends on
> what exactly they want to get out of their computer,
> am I right? Like, Windows is probably more
> user-friendly for those not-so-capable computer
> users, and Linux is for tweaking, fiddling around
> with ur computer?

Well.. Yeah for the first part, but Linux is for everybody... just some people dont want it, and that's fine, their choice!
>
> Another thought - if your computer is capable enough
> of doing so, could Linux be installed onto a computer
> that has Windows and run one of the OS at a time?
>

Yep!

caffy
14-04-2003, 03:18 PM
So would u recommend installing Mandrake Linux 9.0 onto a computer with, 512mb ram, 80gb hard drive?

I just would like to have a look at what it looks like :) but only if its easy to (and can) uninstall?

Kame
14-04-2003, 03:29 PM
What are your intentions, you still want your Windows Operating System there?

If you want to have a look at what Linux is like I suggest you look at Knoppix which boots the OS off the CD without installing anything. It'll just give you a starting point.

caffy
14-04-2003, 03:48 PM
I'll have a look into that, thanks :)

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2003, 05:16 PM
I personally would say go with RedHat...

I dunno why, I just seem to like it even more.. now with RedHat 9 out :-)

Your PC's specs are more than fine, and you can Dual-Boot with Linux and Windows no problem, however you'll need some free, un-partitioned space left on your HDD which can be used to install Linux.

Easy to un-install?? Well - delete the partitions and you're sback to normal :-)

caffy
14-04-2003, 05:47 PM
how would i sort out the hard drive space stuff?

Mind you, if this is too complicated then i wont do it...

bmason
14-04-2003, 05:56 PM
I haven't tried with radhat, but with mandrake it can shrink your windows partition and install in the space created.

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2003, 10:35 PM
> I haven't tried with radhat, but with mandrake it can
> shrink your windows partition and install in the
> space created.

Really? Non-Destructively?

i havent tried it on RedHat so I wouldnt know if it is or not.. I always leave my doze partition alone... just in case it got lost..

bmason
14-04-2003, 10:41 PM
> Really? Non-Destructively?

Yes, I've used it a few times without trouble. Mandrake 9.1 can resize NTFS but I haven't tried it.

Chilling_Silence
15-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Okay, well I setup Mandrake 9.0 last night.. and it all appeard to be non-destructive, but I didnt finalise the stuff coz I didnt wanna lose my main partition just in case.

Thanks though, I'll try it sometime :-)

rmcb
15-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Yes give it a try.
At the moment Im running Mandrake 9.1 - no problems with the windows partition and my digital camera, printer, modem etc all working great.

mikebartnz
15-04-2003, 11:00 PM
Make sure you defrag the Windows partition before resizing.

caffy
16-04-2003, 02:00 PM
ATTN: Chilling_Silence,

Re installing Mandrake 9.0, my brother came across the same problem that I did - cannot partition the hard drive without losing the data thats already on it (data like programs, etc) so he's going to look around for a software to do the job properly.

Thanks for your help anyway :)

have a good easter, I'm off to the coromandel - leaving tonight...
caffy

Deranged
16-04-2003, 04:52 PM
You can resize partitions on your comp without losing any information. The best tool for doing stuff with partitions is partition magic. It does every thing for you and you don't lose anything. (Although your registry needs a bit of a clean up if you are moving heaps of program files)

Chilling_Silence
16-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Yeah, Partition Magic is what you'll be after, as it can handle All the Windows filesystems, and is very comfortable resizing Ext2/3 partitions!

It'll be what you're after, and you can prolly just knock off 5-10 gigs on the d: Drive :-) (Or was it E:... I cant remember ;-))

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

caffy
13-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Hey all,

Thought I'd report back... Installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 onto my computer, seems alright so far...

was wondering if theres any 'tests' for me to run, to check that everythings sweet? Like, i've checked the internret and its working...

anything else to check? Can anyone give me some tips that will help me with my learning abt Linux

cheers,
caffy

caffy
13-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry, make that Mandrake Linux 9.0

Graeme
13-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Try reading this

http://www.cmm.uklinux.net/steve/ntt.html

Try running the GCC compiler or GIMP.
Try running updatedb and then use locate to find a file and see how much faster than windows it is.
Don't forget to log in as non root unless you absolutely need to be root.

Graeme

bmason
13-06-2003, 10:12 PM
> was wondering if theres any 'tests' for me to run, to
> check that everythings sweet? Like, i've checked the
> internret and its working...

Well that seems to be what most people have trouble with.

> anything else to check?

Have you checked the sound is working? Try playing an mp3. Or you can find .wavs in /usr/share/sounds

Is your graphics card set up for 3d support correctly? (If you need it). There are some simple 3d demos in the Mesa-demos package.

> Can anyone give me some tips
> that will help me with my learning abt Linux

Just have a play with it. You can create a seperate user for messing with stuff if you want. As long as you are not running as root you can't do any damage to the system.

Have a hunt through the packages in the software installer, theres heaps of useful stuff.

mikebartnz
13-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Just make sure you do a defrag before you do so, so that all your free space is at the end of the disk.

Chilling_Silently
13-06-2003, 11:20 PM
> Just make sure you do a defrag before you do so, so
> that all your free space is at the end of the disk.

;-)

mikebartnz
13-06-2003, 11:48 PM
;) Beginning.

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Wondered if you'd pick up on that.

I wonder what'd happen if I tried running Partition Magic under WineX :p

PoWa
14-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Oh its not difficult to screw linux up completely, requiring a reformat. Done it quite a few times now haha.

One thing I've noticed in linux, every time I click on something it takes an incredibly long time to load. Even browsing the 'start' menu takes 5secs+ to load up. (Even slower than windows). Running a 1.1athlon, 384ram :\

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 08:15 AM
> Oh its not difficult to screw linux up completely,
> requiring a reformat. Done it quite a few times now
> haha.
>
> One thing I've noticed in linux, every time I click
> on something it takes an incredibly long time to
> load. Even browsing the 'start' menu takes 5secs+ to
> load up. (Even slower than windows). Running a
> 1.1athlon, 384ram :\
>

My Athlon XP 1700+ with 512MB RAM is much much faster than doze! Myt P300 though does suffer and I can sympathize.. Im not too sure why it does that either?!

If you wanna erase everthing, then if you're root, try this:
# rm -rf
Just make sure you know that doing that will effectively format your linux partitioning scheme, and any mounted drives you may have..

So, do that and you wipe your PC.. so dont do it.. but yes.. it can be that easy PoWa.. In most cases, Ive found it harder to kill Linux than doze :-)

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 08:19 AM
> If you wanna erase everthing, then if you're root,
> try this:
> # rm -rf
> Just make sure you know that doing that will
> effectively format your linux partitioning scheme,
> and any mounted drives you may have..

Forgot to add the space then slash afterwards t specify the root folder...
# rm -rf /
;-)
Ive actually done it before when I was formatting my PC.. after unmounting all my Doze partitions :p

caffy
14-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I have noticed the same thing - Linux loads things incredibly slow!!! as compared to window. And number one thing i have noticed - in Windows things appear more clearer and with more clarity. Linux seems a bit fuzzy, like text are not clear, and etc. Anything i can do to fix this up? Also when typing, the letters appear really slowly...

How can I check my network connections - like in Windows on the Desktop you right click on Network Connections and click properties, and you can see that you are connected to the gateway computer etc...

How come you have to press the comma button twice for a comma to appear? Same with the speech/quote ones...

cheers,
caffy

Graeme
14-06-2003, 11:19 AM
If you have an 80GB hard drive it sounds like you might have a newish PC. Linux is always behind Windows for getting drivers for new hardware. With Mandrake 9.0 on my 2GHz P4 and Intel 845G there was no graphics driver for it. I had to set Video buffer size to 8MB in the BIOS to get 16 bit colours and it had grainy appearance. Mandrake 9.1 has new XFree86 version which supported my graphics and the graininess is gone. Maybe you should try a clean install of MDK 9.1

I don't know what could cause your speed problems etc but something is wrong. Try asking on the usenet MDK newsgroup if you don't get any luck here.

Graeme

caffy
14-06-2003, 11:33 AM
I do have a 80GB hard drive, but it has been partitioned... something like 30GB for C drive, and before it was like 50GB for D drive, but that has now been partitioned to give Linux 25GB or so...
Does Linux still 'see' that the whole computer is 80GB or does it only see the 25GB?

I will wait and see if i get any help from here, before going elsewhere :)

caffy

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Try opening up a terminal window and as root, type the following:
# mkdir /mnt/hda1
# chmod 777 /mnt/hda1
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

Your primary Windows partition should now be mounted as /mnt/hda1

:-)

You can also do the same for your other Windows Partition as long as its FAT32, if its NTFS you'll need to download the NTFS support rpm :-)

caffy
14-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Right, have been looking around in Mandrake - very different world from Windows I have to say! :P

Now - re MSN Messenger, someone mentioned earlier something about using GIAM instead of MSN, ICQ etc. How do i set this up? it asks for a username and password, so i put in what i use in MSN and it says invalid...? Even in where you are setting up an account.

Games - do I have to install the games in Mandrake that I have in Windows? There's no way of gettin to those games in Windows from Mandrake is there?

I looked into my "home" and there was only two folders, that looked like for Documents and Temporary. Do you have to create more folders, ie for Games, for email, etc etc...

Does no one know anything about what i said before, regarding slow text appearing, programs taking a wee while to open etc?

Thanks to those ppl who have replied to my previous messages - it helps that there are ppl out there with the patience and time, to help me out!! :) I'm keen in trying new things out, but as you can see, it requires some help from the more knowledgable ppl...

cheers,
caffy

Graeme
14-06-2003, 07:04 PM
There's an active thread on the Mandrake newsgroup I mentioned before where several possibilities for slowness are mentioned.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1BB22CE4 (http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1BB22CE4)

Was your system slow immediately after installing or did it happen later.
Maybe you installed too many services. Check out that link or this one on services in Mandrake.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice2.html (http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice2.html)

Mandrake/Linux can read NTFS partitions but not write to them and it can read and write FAT32.

Graeme

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 07:06 PM
You'll be after KMess for KDE :-)

caffy
14-06-2003, 07:11 PM
I think that it has been slow ever since installing it...

Im not complaining - things are working fine, just that the speed (or lack of it) is a little bit annoying, when in Windows you'd click on something and it would open almost immediately.

Thanks Graeme, am checking those websites out now.

caffy

Chilling_Silently
14-06-2003, 07:14 PM
> Mandrake/Linux can read NTFS partitions but not write
> to them and it can read and write FAT32.
>

Really? What a bummer coz you have to install the rpm in RedHat and SuSE ;-)

Graeme
14-06-2003, 07:28 PM
oops, how did that last bit get to be bold. I don't know.
I was thinking of trying italic sometime.

Graeme

Chris
15-06-2003, 10:41 AM
>I looked into my "home" and there was only two folders,
>that looked like for Documents and Temporary.
>Do you have to create more folders,
>ie for Games, for email, etc etc...

Don't worry about that caffy, /home will fill up with stuff as you go.

It should be /home/caffy/* , if it's just /home/* you probably haven't created a user, and you may be running as "root" which is all well and good, but as root you can do serious damage, as a user, that is fairly unlikely.

.Chris