PDA

View Full Version : The Processor Speed Race

Ashley Matthews
13-04-2003, 10:22 PM
Just trying to see people's opinions on whom (AMD or Intel) is winning the processor speed race right now.

Personally I reckon its definately Intel based on the fact that the sheer clock speed is so much higher than any of AMD's latest offerings.

Post your thoughts (that includes you Die Hard AMD fans).

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes, in sheer numbers and what with Hyperthreading, Intel win Hands-Down, but what about the faact that AMD have proven by far that the number means less than how fast it actually performs in certain conditions!

Take a 1.6Ghz of both a P4 and an Athlon XP and put them in a test and see what happens!

But what about when AMD's 64-Bit processor comes out - I'd love one of those!!!

sc0ut
13-04-2003, 11:17 PM
>But what about when AMD's 64-Bit processor comes out - I'd love one of those!!!

does the hammer actuly have 2 CPUs or 1 that acts as 2?
all the diagrams i have seen don't make it easy to tell

mikebartnz
14-04-2003, 12:12 AM
>>But what about when AMD's 64-Bit processor comes out - I'd love one of those!!!
Trouble is what are M$ going to charge for the OS to run it then again Linux will have support before M$ anyway.

kiwibeat
14-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Its reached the stage where who cares who is leading just as the IE netscape browser wars were eventually a so what item? so the speed of cpus now far exceed what the average user needs or uses I have a 1.3 gigHertz cpu and dont really think its necessary to keep up with the latest greatest thing out the major bottlenecks are in the motherboard, memory and HDD speeds.

Kame
14-04-2003, 04:38 PM
I agree with Kiwibeat,

There is so much comparison going on that I've taken the attitude to not caring now. If I asked what motherboard is the best, what graphics card is the best, what's the best sound card, what's the best CDROM it's only a matter of time before the tables have turned.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Although I follow the latest trend with my knowledge, I hardly ever go down the road and get it. I believe in getting stuff when you really need it, and the setting out your boundries as to what you need, and then satisfy those needs accordingly -to your budget of course.

If you buy simply because its cool, and new in fashion, you're never going to be totally "new".

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2003, 06:27 PM
Ah - yes, I agree :-)

Im happy with my current Hardware.. although I might need a new HDD soon.. but an AMD Athlon XP 1700 +... Well, The only time it really gets put to good use is when Im saving an MP3 file - and then coz of its speed, its only for a matter of 10 or so seconds TOPS!

Does Linux support 64Bit Processing?

bmason
14-04-2003, 06:54 PM
> Ah - yes, I agree :-)
>

Me too. The high end processors aren't worth the money.

> Does Linux support 64Bit Processing?

Yes, its been running on sparcs and alphas for years. Having a look at the source tree, it looks like its running on IA64 (itanic) and x86-64 (hammer).

PoWa
14-04-2003, 08:39 PM
>Trouble is what are M$ going to charge for the OS to run it then again Linux will have support before M$ anyway.

True. Haven't MSoft already released their WindowsXP 64bit OS?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
14-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Well, you could really try out the new Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, I think they've got it in 64 bit haven't they....

metla
14-04-2003, 11:24 PM
ahem...

Intel's new 875P chip set provides Pentium 4 desktops with an 800-MHz frontside bus and dual-channel DDR-400 SDRAM main memory. Previously, high-end P4 systems used a 533-MHz frontside bus and RDRAM memory

WOW.........isnt that great?.............oh....wait a second....

Although you won't see any additional price premiums for systems with the new chip set, Athlon XP 3000+ systems from rival Advanced Micro Devices remain faster, on average, and less expensive than the new P4 PCs

Why anyone would go intel i do not know...

Of course,ive never been able to figure out why people by Hewwit packards either...

Or buy computers off fridge salesmen...

Chilling_Silence
14-04-2003, 11:30 PM
> Why anyone would go intel i do not know...
>
> Of course,ive never been able to figure out why
> people by Hewwit packards either...
>
> Or buy computers off fridge salesmen...
>

LOL - Good point :-)

Windows XP has a 64-Bit version Im sure coz when I went to download the 'redistributable Win XP SP1', I saw one for XP 64-Bit.... so there must be!

And the new servers.. yeah, definately... and man, does that .Net Server 2K3 look set to be good!
If they can make one like that.. only cut down for home use.. no eye candy... It would make a KILLER OS, being able to run nicely on Low-Specs PCs!

NoDDyBoT
15-04-2003, 08:10 AM
:p
i think it's all rubbish ! you only need 50mHz of grunt!
kiwi beat is correct those new fan dangled cpus are coddswaddle! :D
i've got a new pentium 90 running @ 95 mHz, 8mb ram and a 500 mb hdd!
i must say i get i tad shaky when i hear that puppy crank up it's 8x cdrom!
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ot!!!!!!!!
(hehe AMD rocks (and are cheaper( but they run hot (and aren't as stable)))).

;)

Thomas
15-04-2003, 08:58 AM
> think it's all rubbish ! you only need 50mHz of grunt!
kiwi beat is correct those new fan dangled cpus are coddswaddle!
i've got a new pentium 90 running @ 95 mHz, 8mb ram and a 500 mb hdd!
i must say i get i tad shaky when i hear that puppy crank up it's 8x cdrom!
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ot!!!!!!!!
(hehe AMD rocks (and are cheaper( but they run hot (and aren't as stable)))).

Surely it must get tireing turning the handle all day to operate your system?;)

NoDDyBoT
15-04-2003, 10:15 AM
BAH!!!!!!! no time to answer sorry, off to bed, been playing doom2 allnight! :p

Chilling_Silence
15-04-2003, 11:04 AM
> (hehe AMD rocks (and are cheaper( but they run hot
> t (and aren't as stable)))).

Yet so will an Intel processor if you have an insufficient heat-sink and cooling solution, so next time you hear somebody tell you their AMD processor killed their PC - Tell them they were most likely foolish enough to have a budget heat-sink, as all scenarios I have seen first hand had a miniature little heat-sink, NO fan, and the case had the worse airflow than a baby's buttocks!

Ive got a pretty run-of-the-mill heatsink/Fan, but the air can flow nicely around, and it doesnt get too hot at all!

kiwibeat
16-04-2003, 11:26 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

interesting article to read

sc0ut
16-04-2003, 11:30 AM
how old it that i read that ages ago

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20030414/index.html
this is new 800MHz FSB (4x 200MHz)
better than hyper theading

so far there is only about 4 MBoard that can support this but i this it ROCKS
i'm going to get one ;)