PDA

View Full Version : Too much RAM ?????

Denfinn
11-04-2003, 08:55 PM
I have a p4-2530mHz 512mb RAM PC which is set up to dual boot into either Win98 or XP - retained Win98 to play some of my older games. The 80Gb HDD is partitioned. Haven't used Win98 for a period of time. Then installed another 512mb RAM and all seemed OK (on XP). Some days later decided to boot into Win98 for the first time in a long while with the result that the Win98 startup screen acted odd with the colours acting bizarre and flashing. Without getting to the desktop the PC rebooted by itself and I was able to either get into XP or Win98 safe mode. No problems at all in booting into XP at anytime. Was told that Win98 can react like this on startup because it does not like more than 512mb RAM. Is this true ?? Is there an easy option to fix or do I simply uninstall win98 and accept the situation ??

whetu
11-04-2003, 09:05 PM
yes it is true, there is no simple way to fix it (it can be fixed though), I'd just get rid of 98 and accept it.. XP should be able to run most of your games

Babe Ruth
11-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Denfinn,

The following information is from the Microsoft KnowledgeBase: The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4 gigabytes) known as the system arena.

On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine). Vcache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB. This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP) video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there is very little address space remaining for the other system code and data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses.

To work around this problem, edit (or add) the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB) or less.

So from within the Windows 98 environment, either use the System Configuration utility or Open the System.ini file in a text editor, such as Notepad, Go to the [VCache] section. and Change the MaxFileCache= settings to the desired value. The value for this settings is in kilobytes e.g. within System.INI

[VCache]
MaxFileCache=524288

Cheers, Babe

kiwibeat
11-04-2003, 09:59 PM
try running cacheman too much ram isnt a problem I haVE FACED YET 512 megs in botrh my PCs

Babe Ruth
11-04-2003, 10:02 PM
kiwibeat,

For Win9x/ME 512MB or less is ok no problems, however issues become apparent when using 700MB or greater...

Babe.

Denfinn
12-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks to whetu, babe ruth and kiwibeat for your responses - think I will look at the system.ini VCACHE entry (in Win98) and try the changes suggested. However even if this works have made the decision to then drop Win98