PDA

View Full Version : BAD MOVE

onelung
11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
I did a silly thing the other day, I upgraded my browser to IE 6, from IE 4. I am running Win 98 with a slow modem and cannot finish the download process over the internet. Now my windows explorer crashes everytime I use it. I cannot access any files on my hard drive. The error is with the shdocvw.dll and urlmon.dll, because of the uncompleted download. I have tried to extract the files from my Win 98 cd with no luck. I don't want to reinstall windows, just want to get back to IE 4 settings. Please help.

rugila
11-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Can you try start - settings - control panel - add/remove programs and try deleting Microsoft IE6.

It won't delete Internet Explorer entirely , but it may take you back to your previously installed version.

Also, instead of upgrading by download, you might try getting hold of NZ PC World magazine and should find IE 6 on the attached CD. Much quicker and esier than trying to do it by download.

Peter H
11-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Most cover Cd's have IE6 on them - try installing from these. Also understand under add/remove progs, there is a option to repair IE. Tried this?
Bye

onelung
11-04-2003, 10:37 AM
I can't access anything, can't add/remove, can't copy of discs, can't even open help files

Mikey123
11-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Try :

Start > Program Files > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System File Checker

Running System File Checker will show you which Files have changed in the last few days, and let you change them back to the previous version.

Worth a go ?

Good luck !

TallPoppy
11-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Try the latest CD from PC World it has browsers on it. Try the download initiated from the CD

rugila
11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Maybe you don't have much option other than to reinstal windows.

If you do this it generally won't affect your data files and should solve the problem more quickly than trying to track down which individual files have been messed up.

Do you have the disk?

rmcb
11-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Perhaps you should try Netscape or Mozilla, with these you can do a easy total uninstall.
If you reinstall win98 have a look at www.litepc.com.