PDA

View Full Version : Laptop sound issues

vanman
10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
I have just put a new hard drive in my Toshiba 4300 laptop, and reinstalled W2K.

When I got to the point of listening to some music, it had an annoying click,clilk,click, click every 3-5 seconds.

I have tried installing the latest media player, and winamp 3, but they all do it. The boot up sound for windows even has the same interference.

I have tried reinstalling my sound chip drivers, and have updated my bios.

The only time that I dont get the clicks, is if I play a CD on the built in super basic CD player in Windows. (which suggests it isnt the hard drive causing intereference)

Help! anyone got any suggestions?

whetu
10-04-2003, 08:21 PM
have you got some bus master IDE drivers installed and do you have DMA enabled on your drives?

you will have to find out what chipset your laptop's mobo uses and download and install the applicable IDE busmaster drivers, as the default MS drivers treat your IDE controller as a PCI device, and use up a lot of cpu time. As an example the default win2k drivers on my nForce2 board used up 41% cpu time in a HDTach benchmark, and I installed some custom IDE busmaster drivers and the cpu time dropped down to 8%.

As for enabling DMA - right click on my computer, left click properties and then click on the hardware tab, and then click on the device manager button. expand the IDE/ATAPI controllers and select primary channel, go to the properties of the primary channel and click the advanced settings tab, make sure the modes are set to DMA if available and repeat for the secondary channel. By default, HDD's have DMA enabled, but optical - cd, dvd, r/rw's are in PIO.

finally a quick search turned up this link (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Satellite+Pro&ProductMenu_2=1073769765&BV_SessionID=@@@@0882928899.1049958839@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadchmmilelgcgfkceghdgngdgll.0&moid=1073769765&smoid=true&ct=DL&ListType=Model&x=20&y=9)

it may or may not work.. if not try this one (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp) and click on select another model and follow the instructions