PDA

View Full Version : Is this a new twist on Spam?

Billy T
10-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Team

I just received a most interesting email from a gentleman (or lady) I have never corresponded with, much less met.

I am offered no prizes, no opportunities to get my paws on large sums in US dollars of dubious origins, key portions of my anatomy will alas remain their present size and I will not receive a University degree by return.

So what is he or she on about ?:| and what's in it for me?

Gentlemen:

The next time you call me with one of your surveys will result in a lawsuit that will be with total devotion to completely eliminating your bullshit and annoying pestilence.

RP Zoeller

The sender was one RPZoeller@aol.com

Yes, that is correct, RPZoeller@aol.com

If I knew RPZoeller@aol.com I might be more inclined to take his (or her)offer seriously but RPZoeller@aol.com doesn't make his or her offer very attractive. Marketing lessons might be in order here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

promethius
10-04-2003, 01:47 PM
...dude..scary...maybe someone is setting u up?

honeylaser
10-04-2003, 01:57 PM
Yes, but if you respond to it saying "huh"? They know that your email address is active. There was a similar one a while back where the email said something about requiring assistance to get into outer space, no links, no nothing. But of course people responded to the spammer, and validated their email addresses. Clever, aye?

rugila
10-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Billy

Please - it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy T
10-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Aha.......So you are still in denial rugila.

Maybe I should send around some very nice but very large people to massage your attitude and realign your ambulatory appendages :D

Please advise delivery address by return. ]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D

Graham L
10-04-2003, 03:59 PM
I would say that this is an example of "vigilante" law at work. The aol.com customer has received stuff with faked source address (yours) and retaliated.

That's why people should not retaliate --- just dump garbage.

-=JM=-
10-04-2003, 04:24 PM
Yeah LOTS of spam is spoofed.

I've got a hotmail account and I get masses of emails from "the postmaster" letting me know that an email has failed to be delivered.

Wasn't me that sent them though :(

Billy T
10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Personally I ignore them all and neither respond nor try to unsubscribe.

This one tickled me though, so I thought I'd share it as there is a fair chance the original sender was genuine and it was time to feed the spam-bots again.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Graham L
10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
And those messages autogenerated on the hotmail server, and the bounced spam which cause them are slowing the network down. Apparently about 40% of the email traffic is spam. Utilities like mailwasher which allow people to bounce spam are making things worse.

Big John
10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
He could be just waiting for you to reply so he knows he (or it) got a valid e-mail address and then would sell it off to whoever wants it.

Just ignore it or better yet bounce it back with mailwasher.