PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DSL-200 modem installation

Hotwire
10-04-2003, 01:47 PM
I am installing a D-Link DSL-200 USB external modem under Windows XP using the latest driver. The power and ADSL indicators show green on the modem. The modem is recognised by the device manager and appears to instal correctly except in one respect. The device icon does not appear on the desktop and I cannot click on it and enter my Jestart username and password. "Network connections" confirms that the connection has not been made. I am unable to set up the connection under the connection wizard. Xtra cannot help. D-Link tech support has not provided a solution so far. I cannot find a solution on the D-Link or Microsoft websites. I would appreciate any suggestions.

PoWa
10-04-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't know a lot about that modem. Do you connect to it via USB or ethernet (network card + cable) ?

Have Telecom enabled JetStart on your phone line? What about your ISP, is your account activated with them yet?

You can get the icon to show you are connected in the taskbar by:
Going into the connection properties and ticking the "Show identification icon in taskbar when connected" box.

Hotwire
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
The modem is connected by USB.
Telecom has enabled Jetstart on the phoneline. I have confirmed this.
The connection shows in the task bar, as successfully installed.
The problem seems to be that the connection is not useable because it is not configured with my username and password. The installation software is supposed to set up a desktop icon that enables this to be done. It does not do this. It has set up a modem icon under Control Panel and the data shows the physical link but does not enable the link to be configured with the user details. By the way, when I first installed the software the D-Link desktop icon did show but it pointed to my voice/data modem. I disabled that modem and that prevented that fault on reinstallation. That might suggest that the software that sets up the icon at the last stage of the installation does not find the ADSL modem. The Windows XP connection wizard sets up a PPPoE broadband connection rather than a PPPoA connection and I cannot find any way to change this. The modem itself is correctly configured for a PPPoA connection as required by Telecom. I may be overlooking something in all of this and the fact that D-Link tech support has not provided a solution so far is ominous.

sam m
11-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Try these links I found,

Here (http://adsl.cutw.net/dlink-dsl200-probs.txt), Here (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/dlink_dsl200.asp) & Here (http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/faq/modems/dsl200.htm).

I do not have a 'connection' per se. I have the Lan connection setup and then I have had to manually input DNS numbers, so now whenever I turn on computer and modem it is always connected.
All I can remember is going to lan/ethernet (tc/ip) properties and entering dns / subnet and Xtra's IP addresses and done. I can have a look for you if your situation is similar. Let me know via email if you want at manutribe (at) xtra (dot) co (dot) nz.

sam m

Hotwire
15-04-2003, 02:26 AM
Problem solved! By a very tedious process of elimination I concluded that the Windows XP connection files had become corrupt. A clean reinstall allowed the D-Link software to complete the installation of the modem. Now I am reinstalling most of my programs...