PDA

View Full Version : saving web pages

johnboy
10-04-2003, 08:58 AM
When you save a web page in ie if i click " web archive single file(*mht)" in the drop down menu it goes thru the motions of saving but when i click the icon for that page where i've saved it there is nothing there. just the icon.

Web page complete(*htm*html)
Web page,html only(*htm,html)
text file(*txt) these are the rest in the drop down menu work. o.k.??? anybody got an idea why please..
winxp, ie 6 ,

Jim B
10-04-2003, 09:38 AM
The simplest way is just to visit a page, and once it's fully loaded click the File menu and then Save As... This will bring up a Save Web Page box which you can use to select a name for the saved page and a location on your hard drive in which to save it (e.g. My Documents or Desktop).

Under Save as Type select the Web Page Complete option, Leave the Encoding box alone and just simply accept whatever Windows decides to put there. Click the Save button and the page will be saved on your hard drive at the location you specified.

A more powerful way of saving web pages offline uses the Bookmarks feature.

To save a web page for viewing offline:

Visit the page you want to save, and wait for it to fully load.
Click Favorites on the Menu bar, and then Add to Favorites. An Add Favorite box will pop up.
Feel free to edit the name of the Bookmark
Make sure there is a tick in the Make Available Offline tickbox, and click OK.
Next time you want the page and you're offline, just open Internet Explorer, click the bookmark you made for it, Your computer may prompt you to go online, but if you click the Work Offline button Internet Explorer will load for you the version saved on your hard drive without you having to go online at all.

Susan B
10-04-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks for explaining the "offline" method of saving webpages, Jim. I am ashamed to admit that this was something I have never known how to do, mostly because I have not really had a need to do it. However it sounds like a really good alternative so will be trying it out soon, mainly to find out how IE deals with pages once I have finished with them.

For saved pages I have to fish out the folders and files and delete them myself so it will be interesting to see how the "offline" method handles them. I am thinking they are in the Temporary Internet Files section and one chooses the option to clear out offline content when deleting those files.

Hmm, that brings up another point -- if I wanted to actually keep some of those offline pages would I not have to return to the pages to save them? If not they will be removed from the temporary internet files eventually, won't they?

Don't mind me, I will find out for myself. No real need to reply to this post, I am just talking to myself here... :D

johnboy
10-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Hmm, that brings up another point -- if I wanted to actually keep some of those offline pages would I not have to return to the pages to save them? If not they will be removed from the temporary internet files eventually, won't they?
thanks for the info .
how can i save offline web pages . please

Susan B
10-04-2003, 06:43 PM
> how can i save offline web pages . please

Now, didn't I say "don't mind me, I am talking to myself"? :p :D

Follow Jim B's instructions in his first two paragraphs. He can't spell it out more clearly than that.

johnboy
10-04-2003, 07:08 PM
sorry i have done what was suggested saving offline.. how can i now save the offline page to cd . which i should of asked in my 2nd post
sorry if i confused you

Susan B
10-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, well if you save web pages to your hard drive first and are then wanting to transfer the saved pages to a CD you will have to locate the files first.

You would have saved an .htm or .html file and a folder of the same name onto your hard drive containing the graphics and other files. Just go to the saved folder and the *.htm file of the same name and move/copy those over to the CD.

johnboy
10-04-2003, 09:01 PM
thanks sorted it now