PDA

View Full Version : PDF Writer

Sami
09-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Can anyone recommend a functional PDF Writer that does not cost an arm and a leg? I have a trial copy of PDF995, but many of my correspondents find that they cannot open the files, or that the files produce unintelligible copy.

wotz
09-04-2003, 06:34 PM
i use PDF995 with no problem. Try www.zeon.com.tw , but you have to pay to get rid of their 'demo' watermark.

John H
09-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Do you want an application that will write a pdf file from scratch, or an application that will convert Word files to pdf format (they are not editable, but it is simple to change the Word file and then re-generate a pdf file of the edited version)?

If it is the latter, I use PDF-XChange. It is $US39.50 from http://www.docu-track.com/
Not sure if that meets your definition of an arm and a leg!

It works in your printer dialogue. If you want to create a pdf file from a Word file, you select Print, then the PDF-XChange "printer". It then prints to a pdf file. It meets my needs, and the company is very good on support.

John

The Student
09-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I've know of a program which I still use from time to time. It is called WordToPDF. Although, I'd better explain somethings here, as to save you time and hassle.

*You need to download GhostSript

*When installing; the program is in German. But you will get to a point, to choose the necessary language: English. (Hint: Just remember or know where the cancel and continue button) is like, installing any other program.

*You need to choose a printer so that the program can work efficiently. (If you are using Windows 2000, XP, then you use the printer driver that comes with the Operating System.)

If your O.S. is either 95,98, blah blah blah, then go here:

http://www.topdf.de/DownloadGB.htm

Scroll down to "Printer Drivers" section.

In order for the conversion to be successful, then you need to open up WordToPDF and then go to Options and select the printer.
The type of printer you need are something like: HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS, or some other printer you want as the selected printer for the PDF conversion. (Note printer drivers with the extention PS are for ; what you want)

*You can only convert Word Documents ONLY with the .doc extension.

So before anything else, you need to download GhostScript, which you can download here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ghostscript/gs800w32.exe?download

You have to install this first. After that then download the program called WordToPDFPro, which you can download from here:

http://www.topdf.de/DownloadGB.htm

Just scroll right down to the bottom of the page and click the Server Link there for (free version). If you don't want to use the free version, then just scroll to the top of the page.

If its all confusing for you, may pay to also read the Installation Instructions under the "Help" toolbar.

Hopes this helps.

TiMę:*)
09-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Why dont you just use winZip or winRAR? They both can compress files

Warrick
09-04-2003, 10:28 PM
I have used Pdfcreator - it is free and I think it came from sourceforge.net site.

It operates as a two-step printing process. I use an Apple Color lazer driver printing to file, then open the file in Pdfcreator and it converts it into pdf format.

There are a number of other free pdf "printers" available, but so far I have found this quite reliable.

A common problem I have found with pdf, including Distilling with Acrobat, is that complicated pages (tables, graphics etc typical of a pamphlet) do not translate well. Simple pages are fine, but then with the ubiquity of OpenOffice or Word Doc format, you might as well just Zip the file.

For graphic intensive documents, you may well find the djvu format worth considering instead of pdf. Look at djvuzone.com or Planet djvu web site for information. You can also encode online.

Mzee
10-04-2003, 02:32 AM
There is a program called "Jaws" which converts any printed documents to PDF. It works 100% and is compatable with all the Windows.
I got it from a PC World CD, so it should be in their archives.

You just select Jaws in the printer settings.