PDA

View Full Version : Home Office - need a fax machine?

Warrick
09-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Is fax software sufficiently robust to be able to use the computer for all faxing, sending and receiving, operations?

Is there any service offered by Telecom or Vodafone where they will receive incoming faxes and convert and forward to an email address?

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2003, 03:45 PM
> Is fax software sufficiently robust to be able to use
> the computer for all faxing, sending and receiving,
> operations?
>

Yeah, some stuff comes with all Windows OS's, and most Linux distro's too if you've set it up.

Last thing I used (A few years back) would have been QwikLink Fax II and it did fine sending/receiving with normal fax machines!

Kame
09-04-2003, 03:57 PM
Symantec's WinFax Pro is good, and is a lot cheaper than thermal/plain paper faxes. All that's required is the software and a fax capable modem and possibly a fax line or faxibility number. Can use your ordinary phone number but can get confusing and frustrating at times.

As for Fax to Email services. I've heard of this and vice versa Email to Fax but I'm not sure if Telecom or Vodafone provide such service. It's usually web based. I'm not sure but you could search for it.

leshibbard
09-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Cheyene Bitware has all the required facilities, but I don't think it's available anymore.

Had to get some Airport Parking charges and send them on, no fax at the other end but they had an e-mail address.

Bitware e-mail shows as a "lightning bolt" on the menu-bar.

Les3.

godfather
09-04-2003, 04:30 PM
PC based fax receiving/sending is fine, until the day you need to send a document for which you only have a hard copy. Then its scan it in, and send it out by fax. Much of this type of activity makes a $299 fax machine quite viable.

I have run in dual mode, where the PC picks up faxes if its on, otherwise a cheap thermal fax does it. Have given up using the PC based fax, as if its an electronic document, I email it.

Rob99
09-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Yes use MS Outlook.