PDA

View Full Version : Items listed twice in Startup

exLL
09-04-2003, 01:07 AM
P111 450mhz, Win 98, 256ram

In msconfig/startup I have a couple of items listed twice.

It doesn't bother me at all, but I wondered about the significance of it.

How did they get listed twice, does it matter and are they easily deleted?

One of the items listed twice is:

Load Power Profile......... Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

The other duplicated item is to do with Textbridge (OCR?), and is:

RegisterDropHandler...... C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\BIN\REGIST~1.exe

In each case only one of the two items has been ticked.

Any thoughts on this one? (I don't need a long explanation as it doesn't seem to be causing any trouble, I'm just curious.)

Thanks. ExLL :)

exLL
09-04-2003, 01:51 AM
Since making the above posting I did a search in Google and have bookmarked a site that gives a lot of info on what I queried.

I can more or less answer my own questions I think, not sure how they got doubled up, doesn't matter much anyway, and can be deleted but needs a registry fix.

It seems to be a bit involved to get rid of the double ups via the registry so I think I will leave well alone.

As it is well past my bedtime I will study it more tomorrow.

ExLL :)

rugila
09-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Interesting point.
I've sometimes thought about that one as well.
Something called TKBELL which seems to emanate from Real Networks appears twice in my startup and also a couple of others.

I also have something called REALEVENT hanging around which I have some doubts about. Seems it sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't.

What was the site you bookmarked? It might save me some search.
I have no problems about altering my registry entries - have done it quite a number of times - usually beneficial and I can't think of any problems I have ever had altering registry.

One thing I have concluded is that Windows registry (98 in may case) contains far too much junk which just accumulates and accumulates despites use of jv16 powertools and occasionally other reg cleaners.

Thomas
09-04-2003, 10:13 AM
>>One thing I have concluded is that Windows registry (98 in may case) contains far too much junk which just accumulates and accumulates despites use of jv16 powertools and occasionally other reg cleaners.

Can we conclude from that,that in the end the only answer is to reformat when the registry gets tooooooo bloated?

Greg S
09-04-2003, 02:03 PM
2 events of powerprofile is completely normal.

In answer to the question of reformatting, a great tool to clean up the reg is regcleaner.

rugila
09-04-2003, 07:46 PM
> 2 events of powerprofile is completely normal.

I'm not quite sure what that means.

Normality for Microsoft isn't necessarily the same as normality for all computer users.

I'd rather like to know, in addition to its being normal
(a) Are 2 necessary?
(b) Are 2 useful?
(c) Could one be safely deleted?
(d) does the second one just clog up computer resources, like so much stuff seems to?

exLL
09-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Here is the site that I bookmarked.
click here (http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x59537b8d1de3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html)
I just tried the above link and it worked for me.

For what it is worth, here it is in full, but it won't work as far as clicking on it goes, as press f1 spits the dummy when web addresses carry over on to a new line.
http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x59537b8d1de3d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html

It seems that my posting was not in vain as it has generated some more queries, so wasn't a waste of time after all.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm following them with interest.

Cheers, exLL :)

Billy T
09-04-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi exLL

To get long urls to operate in F1, enclose them in tags like this:

www.whatever (http:\\[url) the site is but copy it in full from your browser window]Click Here[/*url] (The *would not be present, it is only there so that the demo url will show in full.)

When you use this option you can check in preview to see if it works OK. If it is, the site will open when you click the "Click Here" or whatever pointer you choose to use.

Details are in formatting options.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

godfather
09-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Its been a long day Billy.
That can be your excuse, anyway.

If you read exLL's post, he demonstrates his mastery over the url formatting (in the "click here" bit)

at least I have an excuse for a short attention span...

exLL
09-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi Billy, thanks for the thoughts anyway. I was trying to figure out your posting when Godfather came to the rescue.

I thought perhaps that you were explaining how press f1 breaks the long address with a space ( or is it a % ) thus making it unworkable.

'Twas nice to hear from you!

Cheers. exLL :)

Wrecker Jim
10-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Postings by the MVP's in the Microsoft newsgroups indicate (for Win98 anyway) that -

a) 2 are necessary
c) 1 should not be deleted

as far as b) and d) are concerned - who knows when MS are involved? 8-)

Billy T
10-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Sorry exLL :8} :8}

God is right though, it had been a long day, mostly spent struggling with Xtra and Outlook, and as my next post will show, I need help!

To cap it all, my monitor is starting to fail as well (ironic really). It is suffering from intermittent width twitches and is slowly getting worse. I am hoping it is nothing more than a dry joint. (Hyundai DeluxScan 7770 BTW.)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)