PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Bloatware

Susan B
08-04-2003, 09:25 AM
We all know about Microsoft Bloatware but this has just got to take the cake.

A 56 page Word 97 document with lots of tables, styles, formatting, section breaks, etc is 517KB until it is opened and saved in Word XP (2002) with absolutely NO alterations done whatsoever. Just plain saved.

Guess what size it is now? A whopping 1457KB!! It has nearly tripled!!!! :O

Take it back to the Word 97 machine, copy all contents into a new document and save and it returns back to around the 517KB size. Try doing that in Word 2002 and it remains at around 1457KB.

What on earth is Word 2002 adding to that file to make it balloon out so much? Are they trying to fill up our humongous hard drives to ensure we need more than one or three?

Microsoft Bloatware alright. :-(

kiwibeat
08-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Looks like my old copy of Office 97 is the preferred choice for home usage goes well with my 98SE O/S too lol.
Lots of people are astounded to find their fast PCs slowed down after loading in the Latest Office and Service packs applications etc from MIcrosoft I wonder why ??

Dolby Digital
08-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Susan, you know as well as I do that Microsoft are in with hardware manufacturers. You can't have a 40GB hard disk and only use 2GB of it.

Bill is only to happy to deal with consumer complaints :D

-=JM=-
08-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Well by default Word 2002 saves in a format where by Word '97, Word 2000 and Word 2002 will be able to read it.

So you'be got to expect there to be some large sized files. That is roughly 3x the size. One for each version ;)

bmason
08-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Even more fun:

If you open the word97 version in Open/StarOffice and export as Word97, it will give you an even smaller version of the file.

Susan B
08-04-2003, 06:58 PM
> You can't have a 40GB hard disk and only use 2GB of it.

The boss thinks you can. :D

> That is roughly 3x the size. One for each version

That is exactly what I told the boss. :-)

> If you open the word97 version in Open/StarOffice and export as Word97, it will give you an even smaller version of the file.

I can quite believe it. Too bad about work upgrading but I am beginning to wonder if I should have bothered buying Office 2002 myself instead of sticking with Office 97. Oh well, got to fill up my 80 GIG hard drive somehow. :p

Kiwitas
08-04-2003, 08:05 PM
Hi Susan B,

You probably have the version that has the huge Spellcheck file
that was custom built for "tweak'e"(sorry mate,just had to get that one in!)

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Thomas
08-04-2003, 08:10 PM
>>
You probably have the version that has the huge Spellcheck file
that was custom built for "tweak'e"(sorry mate,just had to get that one in!)

Which one wouldn't mind if he used it

-=JM=-
08-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Well I must say that Word 2002 is nicer to use than 2000. Apart from some small niggles.

As for Word 97. I would NEVER go back to that.

Greg S
08-04-2003, 08:27 PM
:D

segfault
08-04-2003, 08:27 PM
> As for Word 97. I would NEVER go back to that.

Really? I reckon that was the best version that they ever created. No bloat :)

raddersnz
08-04-2003, 09:20 PM
> > As for Word 97. I would NEVER go back to that.
>
> Really? I reckon that was the best version that they
> ever created. No bloat :)
>

There maybe no bloat, but there is also less eyecandy ( = bloat ). There is less impressive fonts, and a lacking in commands.
For example: I saved a .doc on this computer - XPPro, Office XP - and used fancy fonts, and coloured it. I then emailed it to my mothers office computer - WinNT, Office 2000 - and it did not recognise the fonts, so picked the default ones instead. I was dissapointed, because I was hopeful of a neat printing.
All that aside, oriffice XP is designed for use on newer systems that can handle the code - not ancient beasts that stutter and slurr.

radz:p

Susan B
08-04-2003, 09:26 PM
> You probably have the version that has the huge Spellcheck file that was custom built for "tweak'e" (sorry mate, just had to get that one in!)

How did you guess?! :D

>> Which one wouldn't mind if he used it

Oi!! Watch it Thomas!! tweak'e has very long-standing rights (http://mscandy.orcon.net.nz/mugshots/mugshots.html#tweake) you know. :|

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 09:37 PM
I think its coz one Office saves in some sort of newer XML format, which would be better for positioning of txt etc, and more customisable, and yet the other has their own language?

Thats what I can remember reading, but I could be wrong.

I think Office 97/2K use a special format, whereas 2K2 uses ful XML

Baldy
08-04-2003, 10:07 PM
> > You can't have a 40GB hard disk and only use 2GB
> of it.
>
> The boss thinks you can. :D
>
>
> > That is roughly 3x the size. One for each version
>
> That is exactly what I told the boss. :-)
>
>
> > If you open the word97 version in Open/StarOffice
> and export as Word97, it will give you an even
> smaller version of the file.
>
> I can quite believe it. Too bad about work upgrading
> but I am beginning to wonder if I should have
> bothered buying Office 2002 myself instead of
> sticking with Office 97. Oh well, got to fill up my
> 80 GIG hard drive somehow. :p

Never fear Susan, you won't fill your hard drive LOL

John W
08-04-2003, 10:31 PM
With every issie of MS Word from Word for Windows 2, the file size for an empty sheet has expaned 3 fold. in WfW2, an empty sheet was 2kb, that went to 6kb for Word 95, 18kb Word97 etc.. What you get for your increased file size, is access to the increased range of formatting options each updated version bring with it, as additional bagage.

At work we have said goodbye to MS pork and retained Office 95 as the default program. On WinXP these programs open in the blink of an eye, tables are sorted in a flash, saving files is quick, everything about Office 95 is fast, cant say that with MS Office 2002

I can remember when I could save all the files I needed for my position as Church Treasurer, Kindy Treasurer, personal corospondance and local Rag editor on one or two floppies at most. I nearly always saved files in WfW2 or XL4.

Well so much for my hobby horse, as an aside, Rob Clarke wrote a very humerous article on this very subject a year or 2 back in PC World, anyone got a copy or remember what issue it was in?

Cheers......John.
Even now, if Ive a simple plain straight forward document to save with nothing fancy in it, I save it in WfW2, Excel files in XL4 or CSV format.