PDA

View Full Version : Sharing ADSL over Wireless Lan

Ashley Matthews
07-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey there,

I have JetStart at home, shared over my Lan Via a hub. I've just bought a new laptop and I'd like it to be able to access the internet via a wireless card. If i buy a PCMIA WLAN card and a Dick Smiths USB > Wireless lan adaptor (might help if you checked it out) (www.dse.co.nz cat no XH1153). can I connect the adaptor up to one of my computers or somehow my hub and use that to connect to the internet. An internet saavy friend said i could possibly set the computer it was connected to as a gateway, and that computer then uses the router as its gateway. Is this possible? and if not any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ashley

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 07:57 PM
do you mind keeping 1 PC on when you use your laptop?
because you could get a card in a PC and your lap top would connect thew that

Ashley Matthews
07-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes, I'd be happy to do that. Could you please explain how I would go about it or point me to a link on the internet?

Cheers for your quick reply
Ash

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
ok if you use 2 normal PCs and you want to link them up you buy 2 Network cards and a crossover cable
this would link 2 PCs together
is you buy 2 WLan-Cards you can do the same (just make sure when you buy them they have the option to do this)
if you get this to work on you PC you enable Internet shearing to your laptop
I've never used a WLan before so ask the person at Dick Smith if you can do this
i you cant you can buy a WLan-Hub that will plug inside your PC

anon
07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Do you have a router, (and a hub maybe) for your jetstart connection?

*....you have a brother called Cameron?

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2003, 08:27 PM
Its easiest if you have a NIC in the PC already.. and share the connection with the Cabled LAN card using XP to bridge the connection (If its your OS).

Otherwise, you'll need to use a proxy..

CyberChuck recommended proxyplus, and the websites in german, but the software is english... You'll need to run the Proxy on the Gateway, as ICS doesnt normally work over those WLAN cards :-)

Ashley Matthews
07-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Firstly yes I do have a brother called cameron , so I am assuming you know him somehow..........
Who would you be?

Yes I have a router and a hub for my jetstart connection, I just want to be able to use my laptop wirelessly upstairs.
Any ideas

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 08:39 PM
* _ _ _ _ just a guess but is anon your brother on the network? he only has 1 post

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2003, 08:49 PM
As I said... That's how you'd have to have it setup.. Needing 2 WLAN cards, one for the PC connected to the Net, and another for the Laptop to connect to (Or did you say it has one already)?

WinXP only needs to be on the gateway to bridge the connections!

Ashley Matthews
07-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Ok, thats cool. What settings do I change to make this happen?

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2003, 09:02 PM
You should (Im on a Win2K PC so going from memory) be able to click Start, right-click on Connect To and click Explore.

Select a connection, right-click and choose Bridge Connections.

Both will now be on the same IP range.. eg 192.168.0.xxx

And the connection will be bridged :-)