PDA

View Full Version : OT: Survey: How many Press F1 people have Win XP on they computer????

stu140103
07-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Hello every one

I am just curious to see how many people here on press f1 has Win XP on they computer

Also have any of those people who have win XP on they computer had any problems at all??? e.g. networking etc….

Also the other resign why I am doing this survey is that my dad is going to install Win XP on his computer in the next few days/hours :(

TiM©:*)
07-04-2003, 06:15 PM
I have xp, no prob so far :*).

Tim

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 06:21 PM
i HAD it
its startup files corruped it self TWICE on me resulting in needing to use the WinXP recovery/bootable CD (wich took a while to obtane)
then my brother installed a screensaver/virus (with AVG running) resulting me FORMATING
now i run 2000

i was not a happy XP user
no problems with 2000

PS this was all before they TRYED to patch XP with the SPs

agent
07-04-2003, 07:17 PM
Me! No issues with XP itself, just me and my hardware...

ruup
07-04-2003, 07:39 PM
love XP,better than '98 and ME by far....not had much experience with win 2000...but liked what I've seen of it,nope I'm a XP fan....till the next bold experiment comes along....only niggles are the constant updating ( I wish they could fix ALL the loop holes)....without making me give up my rights to use MY computer the way I want to..(EULA)

Ashley Matthews
07-04-2003, 07:46 PM
XP Professional on the Main System, XP Home on the laptop. No problems whatsoever. Best M$ operating system ever

4bes
07-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I'm dual booting XP Pro and Mandrake 9.0 ........no major problems yet.

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 07:51 PM
>Best M$ operating system ever
i wouldn't say that (people would kick your but for saying that/self included)

Mike
07-04-2003, 08:03 PM
> >Best M$ operating system ever
> i wouldn't say that (people would kick your but for
> saying that/self included)

Why? What do you think is the best then?

Apart from Dos 6.22, XP would have to be my favourite OS. I've currently got Win ME and XP Pro running on this machine, 98SE on another, and am considering also putting 98SE, 2000 Server, and .Net 2003 Server on this machine as well, if I can be bothered... but I wouldn't swap any of them for XP.

Mike.

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Windows 3.1

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Red Hat is
Its FREE and very safe and reliable (if you know what your doing)

-=JM=-
07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
XP Pro would be my favourite Windows OS.

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Im with Sc0ut on this one...

Im currently using Win2K, Win98 (Only for my TV-Tuner Card) and RedHat 8.0

Ive not been the happiest user with WinXP, its on the Family's PC... Installed with/without SP... Its been a downright pain at times...

But then again.. not everybody has my problems with it..

I just found it slow.. really slow.. so I went back to Win2K and am much more pleased :-)

minos#2
07-04-2003, 08:25 PM
XP Pro! love it, best MS OS out there.

although I've got a mate asking me if you can hack XP Home to XP Pro? like you can by using registry hacks to change NT Workstation to Server!! lol

I don't quite know how to tell him how funny I think that is....

:-)

sc0ut
07-04-2003, 09:16 PM
hay Chilling_Silence just wondering when you ran XP was it on a Pentium or AMD system?
the people i know who have had problems with it used AMD, it might not be because of this but 3 polpe i know uses AMD-XP procesors and they had problem with Win-XP

Gordon.
07-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Tried XP Pro and it spat the dummy at 80% installation and then failed to reboot. Went back to WinME. Have used XP Pro on a friends computer and appears to be good, only downside was a couple of programs he had that simply were not compatible but he has two computers anyway, one XP and the other a old win95 so not a big deal, he just uses his old system for those.

Mike
07-04-2003, 09:57 PM
> Red Hat is
> Its FREE and very safe and reliable (if you know what
> your doing)

Last time I looked Red Hat wasn't made by MS :D

Mike.

Mike
07-04-2003, 09:58 PM
> hay Chilling_Silence just wondering when you ran XP
> was it on a Pentium or AMD system?
> the people i know who have had problems with it used
> AMD, it might not be because of this but 3 polpe i
> know uses AMD-XP procesors and they had problem with
> Win-XP

I'm running XP on an AMD - no problems here.

Mike.

Ludwig
07-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Our family has Win2000 Pro on the "gateway" machine (runs ICS), with 2 x Win98SE machines and one WinXP machine.

WinXP has been very robust. Only complaint is that it's sluggish but then I did put it on a Pentium 400MHz machine so shouldn't complain :p

rugila
07-04-2003, 10:00 PM
I bought a madeup computer 6 months ago with winXp home preinstalled.

I found it effectively useless and deinstalled it. Subsequently thought I'd try it again and reinstalled it.
Still effectively useless and although it's still sitting on my machine as the second OS in a dual boot (Win98 is the first) I virtually never use it.

Probably have had about 2 useful uses from Xp in the 6 months.

Virtually always use Win98 which is fine.

BIFF
07-04-2003, 10:47 PM
> >Best M$ operating system ever
> i wouldn't say that (people would kick your but for
> saying that/self included)

Ha ha! just coz your too lame to configure it correctly.

beetle
07-04-2003, 11:25 PM
ok me here

as most regulars no i have XP and have had a few niggles......lol
mainly because i dont know what is normal or not, software,hardware etc....
but as this and windows 95 are the only things i know i am ok with XP as its much better than my old slow machine.
everything for me is so much faster, faster than my friends (3x) who have it theirs frustrates me when use there system.

but id have to say i like it, it is fairly newbie useable and also some techs use it but each to their own.

no major concerns about it.
if there is i call PF1 lol

beetle

godfather
08-04-2003, 12:04 AM
I run 4 PCs on XP, one on Windows 2002. (Yes, it does exist, its not a typo)

All but 1 XP machine was upgraded, some from 98 and some from ME.

I would not want to go back, ME would be OK as long as you reboot a couple of times each day to release resources, but it was fast and stable.

Machines vary from 206 MHz (Windows 2002) 600 Mhz up to 2 Ghz (XP)

Jester
08-04-2003, 12:49 AM
I have XP Pro on my main PC and love it.

This PC used to run Win98SE and became quite unstable. I haven't had any real issues since installing XP, anything I thought I couldn't do or run, at first, became possible after taking the time to look into getting the appropriate drivers or software and configuring it how I wanted it. To me thats nearly all of the fun of using a PC, to make it run better!

Once I got it lean and mean, it runs like a dream.

J
:D

hamstar
08-04-2003, 01:24 AM
if i were you i would stick with 2000. very stable. thats why lots of businesses use it.

sc0ut
08-04-2003, 01:38 AM
>if i were you i would stick with 2000. very stable. thats why lots of businesses use it.
i'm with you 100% there 2000 with SP3 is said to be the "most stable MS OS" buy 1,000s of companys
also said to be the best for laptops (its strange so many people have problems with there laptop OS)
XP is to new, hence all the updates
2000 is based on NT and NT alone (isn't XP a hybrid?)

sc0ut
08-04-2003, 01:41 AM
i think thats why i'm having so much difficulty with Windos.NET Server (its too new),MySQL server always crashing

Mary H
08-04-2003, 10:34 AM
I've just installed XP Pro with SP1 on my Celeron 700 w/ 384MB RAM, and surprisingly it goes fine, infact better than 98 and I've had no BSOD's (touch wood). :)
I've had a few 'niggles' but these have been easily fixed by changing a few default settings.

Having dealt with quite a few reinstalls of Win 95 and 98 over the years, it was great not having to fuss with extra hardware installs after the main XP install - my modem, graphics card, monitor, etc were all picked up!! I only had to worry about installing the extra software for my mouse and keyboard.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Yep, Ive run the thing on (Setup of machines for Cyber Cafe too.. only half were tried at home):
An AMD Athlon XP1700+

A Celeron 933mhz

A Pentium II 266

A Pentium II 300

A Celeron 266

A Duron 1.3Ghz

A Pentium 4 1.8Ghz

And some sort of Intel's Mobile processor... dunno which.

On half I had to re-install either immediately due to failed install, or re-install within a week due to major corruption, slow systems... etc, etc.

The only one that still has it is the Family's Celeron 933Mhz and the Laptop with the Intel Mobile processor of whatever type. And that's only coz I can be bothered putting Lycoris Desktop/LX on the Family PC right now :-)

All with a large variety of RAM, from 64MB minimum to 512 in my AMD Athlon XP 1700+

I find 2K has run better on most, otherwise its Win98 to the rescue!

Obviously not all have had this much bad luck.. Ive tried to stick it through, but I'd just rather Win2K :-)

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 11:01 AM
> >if i were you i would stick with 2000. very
> stable. thats why lots of businesses use it.
> i'm with you 100% there 2000 with SP3 is said to be
> the "most stable MS OS" buy 1,000s of companys
> also said to be the best for laptops (its strange so
> many people have problems with there laptop OS)
> XP is to new, hence all the updates
> 2000 is based on NT and NT alone (isn't XP a hybrid?)

Yes - Its 'Mature' :-)

arfitty
08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
XP home...no probs, great OS, no Linux flames pls :>)

stu140103
08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
> I run 4 PCs on XP, one on Windows 2002. (Yes, it does
> exist, its not a typo)

ah???:| godfather I have near heard about Win 2002??? ?:| & My dad builds OEM computers, Where did you get it ?:|

stu140103
08-04-2003, 12:23 PM
>sc0ut
> 2000 is based on NT and NT alone (isn't XP a hybrid?)

I think it is.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 12:26 PM
> >sc0ut
> > 2000 is based on NT and NT alone (isn't XP a
> hybrid?)
>
> I think it is.
>

..And what is NT based on might I ask??

*Rheotorical Question*

godfather
08-04-2003, 01:10 PM
> ah???:| godfather I have near heard about Win 2002???
> ?:| & My dad builds OEM computers, Where did you get
> it ?:|
>

Pocket PC's such as the Toshiba e570, the Compaq handheld etc all run Windows 2002.

Its based on XP for the "look and feel" and optimised for handhelds.
As it is quite capable of internet browsing (it has its own explorer version) Music (wmp is included) and also Office (Excel and Word) it is a real OS in its own right. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available as well as ebook software for reading novels downloaded. PocketTV software allows the playing of video files at a good framerate.

Mine has a 206 MHz processor, over 1 GB of RAM.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 01:18 PM
So you've sorta taken the OS from a Pocket PC and put it on a desktop?
Or is that still a pocket PC you're talking about?

stu140103
08-04-2003, 01:18 PM
>
> > ah???:| godfather I have near heard about Win
> 2002???
> > ?:| & My dad builds OEM computers, Where did you
> get
> > it ?:|
> >
> Pocket PC's such as the Toshiba e570, the Compaq
> handheld etc all run Windows 2002.
>
> Its based on XP for the "look and feel" and optimised
> for handhelds.
> As it is quite capable of internet browsing (it has
> its own explorer version) Music (wmp is included) and
> also Office (Excel and Word) it is a real OS in its
> own right. Adobe Acrobat Reader is available as well
> as ebook software for reading novels downloaded.
> PocketTV software allows the playing of video files
> at a good framerate.
>
> Mine has a 206 MHz processor, over 1 GB of RAM.

ah I see now :)

Lohsing
08-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Yes, Windows 2002 does exist... have a look here (http://www.geocities.com/stormways/) ... hehe ;)

Windows XP?? Bleearrgh.... Win 2Kpro for me.

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Hmm... Looks... different...

I'd say I prefer the look of my Linux XFCE Window manager more though..

Although I guess you can change the theme/styles...

Lohsing
08-04-2003, 02:07 PM
Have you carefully read what the buttons actually say? ... ;)

Lo.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 02:18 PM
> Have you carefully read what the buttons
> actually say? ... ;)

Err...

I was making a joke...!?!

antmannz
08-04-2003, 02:19 PM
XP, nope; 98se, yes.

sc0ut
08-04-2003, 02:44 PM
>..And what is NT based on might I ask??
it mean they based the OS on WinNT4, a very good OS with the exception that its crap for games

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 02:45 PM
> XP, nope; 98se, yes.

Okay.. This is a little OT I guess, but could anybody enlighten me as to the main differences between Win98 and Win98SE?

I know SE has ICS, but what else? Surely that's not all....?

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 02:47 PM
> it mean they based the OS on WinNT4, a very good OS
> with the exception that its crap for games

Yeah, I know that... :-) Use Win2K all the time :D

Win2K on the other hand was supposed to be the more 'gamers' OS, microsoft said when they were releaseing SP1 (or was it SP2?)!

-=JM=-
08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
98SE is 98 with the bugfixes ;)

kiwibeat
08-04-2003, 03:21 PM
98SE plus Xp on another PC must say I like 98 better as it requires less space and isnt riddled with stuff I dont use much , Xp works fine on a newish PC but hogs a lot of resources does multi task better though and has better memory management

PoWa
08-04-2003, 03:37 PM
I run XP Pro with SP1 on my AMD home computer dualbooting with Mandrake 9. Works great and I haven't had any real troubles with it at all.

However it does crash every so often :P But why do I find that weird when I find I can make Linux crash as well without any effort.

I also run Win2000pro at Tec and find it to be a stupid operating system. Apart from its incredibly poor security it looks bad and is ughhh!....uck

bob_doe_nz
08-04-2003, 03:44 PM
NAH 98 all the way.
at least it can still support the good ole dos games.
ahh doom, dukey, xwing.

OldEric
08-04-2003, 07:00 PM
I bought a new laptop before Xmas with XP, I found it different to Me and W98 and I'm just coming to terms with XP.

Yes I like XP and will probably move the Me rig over to XP too

OldEric

Oxie
08-04-2003, 08:01 PM
I have XP Pro on my main computer. It is sheer delight after Win98 (on second computer) which gave error messages every second day. The only bsod I have had with XP Pro was two months after I got the computer and it warned me my harddrive was about to die. Ever since replacing the harddrive (in Nov) everything has been sweet.

Oxie

Susan B
08-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Yep, I got Win XP with my new PC last November and after a bit of a wobbly start I am firmly converted. The biggest benefit to me is the Administrator controls and being able to lock people out of where I do not want them going.

I cannot remember when it has actually completely crashed on me so it probably has not happened. Mind you, Win 98 was reasonably well behaved for me, apart from dodgy downloading done by other members of the family, but I still prefer Win XP.

Being a very visual person I also like the eye candy of Win XP - and having the luxury of a Beast being able to run it, of course. :D

Say what you like but it is fun changing things around - I do it to my house rooms so why not to my computer? :-)

> Also have any of those people who have win XP on they computer had any problems at all??? e.g. networking etc?.

I sure did!! (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30043&start=0&msRange=50) :D But it was not Win XP that was the problem, it was the Win 98 computer.

So Stu, has your Dad done it yet? How do you both like it?

stu140103
08-04-2003, 10:56 PM
> So Stu, has your Dad done it yet?

Nope, Not yet.

> How do you both
> like it?

I think dad likes it

But I do not like (But I have used it on our 3rd pc) it because of the BIG Security holes in it etc.& I just do not like the layout & I cant find thing etc... & I just do not like NT stuff :| for some weird resign :| & I am for not going installing it on my ME box (ME is cool! :))

Thomas
08-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Thomas XP and no problemos,to be honest wouldn't know a good system from a bad one;)

Elephant
08-04-2003, 11:16 PM
I use WinXP Pro. Works for me.

Elephant
08-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Oh... For ScOut..

My Win Xp runs on an AMD 2400+

I have also gone back to school to get a Certificate. NZCC Levels 2 and 3.

I want this so I can get the paperwork for the stuff I know anyway.

Linux gets a mention as an operating system.

I don't think you will get Linux taught in schools any time soon. While I agree that Linux is a good operating system we have to note that the applications such as Word, Excel etc do not run under Linux. A few people I know have tried to run M\S Flight Sim on a Mac.

A post here very recently was talking about Wine and WineX. Why? Was that so we can run a Windows program? If so then why not run WINDOWS in the first place?

First work out what Apps you want to run then use an appropriate O/S

Elephant
08-04-2003, 11:49 PM
But don't you like Windows?

If not then don't worry about Wine.

It's only a Win Emulator!

-=JM=-
09-04-2003, 12:26 AM
>A post here very recently was talking about Wine and WineX. Why? Was that >so we can run a Windows program? If so then why not run WINDOWS in the >first place?

My thoughts exactly, Elephant. If one wants to usre predominantly Windows software then just run Windows and be done with it.

Having said that though. I haven't seen wine running or played with it myself so I'm not entirely sure as to what it is like. It may be not what I think it is.

Emile
09-04-2003, 12:52 AM
I have XP on two of my four computers. Very impressed with it. FWIF !

sc0ut
09-04-2003, 01:48 AM
>A post here very recently was talking about Wine and WineX. Why? Was that so we can run a Windows program? If so then why not run WINDOWS in the first place?
Valid Question

lets look at cd-gens for example
you need to use it once and you are more likely to find one for windows than linux, most games make the cd-keys work in any OS

>But don't you like Windows?

i think windows is ok (only Win2k thogh), i find that they charge WAY too much $$$$$. i have found Microsoft is more about the $ than the user

Just to make things clear
i'm not a Linux pro, i'm rather n00b when i comes to Linux
i just fugures how to set up a Web Domain on it

caffy
09-04-2003, 12:23 PM
I have WinXP Pro. I think its more user friendly, but one gripe i have is that old games cannot be played on it like Carmaggedon.
The new GTA3 installs fine onto this PC, but when u play it and you get to a certain level, that took u ages to get there, you find that there is an error in saving it X-(

I have downloaded patchs for this, but upon installing them, it says they dont exist...

Apart from that, I like XP - Ive had 95, 98, ME (only for a short while - it kept crashing too much) and I like XP the best, so far...

stu140103
09-04-2003, 12:29 PM
> I have WinXP Pro. I think its more user friendly, but
> one gripe i have is that old games cannot be played
> on it like Carmaggedon.
> The new GTA3 installs fine onto this PC, but when u
> play it and you get to a certain level, that took u
> ages to get there, you find that there is an error in
> saving it X-(
>
> I have downloaded patchs for this, but upon
> installing them, it says they dont exist...
>
> Apart from that, I like XP - Ive had 95, 98, ME (only
> for a short while - it kept crashing too much) and I
> like XP the best, so far...

caffy do you have win xp SP 1???

caffy
09-04-2003, 01:22 PM
what's SP1?

Susan B
09-04-2003, 01:35 PM
> But I do not like (But I have used it on our 3rd pc) it because of the BIG Security holes in it etc.

Really? What big security holes? When holes are found they are filled in reasonably quickly.

> & I just do not like the layout & I cant find thing etc

Yes, I can identify with that. I said I had a wobbly start, remember, and that was the main reason for it. But you can say that with almost any new major version of Windows. Same with moving to a new suburb or city -- it's a pain finding your way around but once everything has become familiar you will wonder what you were fussing about.

> ... & I just do not like NT stuff for some weird resign & I am for not going installing it on my ME box (ME is cool! )

Fair enough, horses for courses. Don't change if Win ME suits you and does all you want it to do. Just remember though, it does pay to keep an open mind in life -- you might miss out on some fantastic experiences. :-)

Susan B
09-04-2003, 01:42 PM
> what's SP1?

Service Pack 1. Win XP's big "patch". Comes with Win XP sold in the shops now but versions released prior to SP1 need to download it (or get a CD from MS for $$).

caffy
09-04-2003, 01:47 PM
And how would i find out if I have this?

sc0ut
09-04-2003, 02:13 PM
wINDOWS uPDATE OR (oops caps)
or
www.microsoft.com

sc0ut
09-04-2003, 02:15 PM
>Carmaggedon.
i love that game i'm glad people are still playing the classics
say is it free ware yet (carmaggedon)?

Susan B
09-04-2003, 02:19 PM
> And how would i find out if I have this?

Hold down the Win Key (the one with the little flag on it near the spacebar) and press the Pause/Break key. It will say in there "Service Pack 1" if you have it installed.

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2003, 02:39 PM
> Oh... For ScOut..
>
> My Win Xp runs on an AMD 2400+

Yeah, Ive run it on anything from a 233Mhz with 64MB RAM, to a 233 with 256MB RAM, to a Duron 1.3Ghz with 64MB RAM, to my AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with 512MB RAM... Ive tried it on a hellovalot of PC's...
Still prefer 2K, it takes about a week to get used to, but from thereon in, its much better I find, but not everybody would..

> I have also gone back to school to get a Certificate. NZCC Levels 2 and
> 3.

> I want this so I can get the paperwork for the stuff I know anyway.

> Linux gets a mention as an operating system.

Ah, so it should, seeing as it IS shaking thecomputing world, Bill Gates has admitted it IS a threat to his company...

> I don't think you will get Linux taught in schools any time soon. While I
> agree that Linux is a good operating system we have to note that the
> applications such as Word, Excel etc do not run under Linux. A few
> people I know have tried to run M\S Flight Sim on a Mac.

Ever heard of OpenOffice.Org?
Otherwise, goto google and look up CrossoverOffice, I think its by a similar company that make WineX, and you can run Office 2K and Office 97 on it fine :-)

> A post here very recently was talking about Wine and WineX. Why?
> Was that so we can run a Windows program? If so then why not run
> WINDOWS in the first place?

What about if you're a hobbiest (Like myself) and can be bothered raking out $400 odd for the latest MS OS?

Why not go for RedHat or Lycoris and install WineX and then run a lot of windows games like that?

> First work out what Apps you want to run then use an appropriate O/S

Or, use an emulator... Ive had RedHat 8, emulating windows.. from which I run a gameboy emulator and have played Pokemon on - It wasnt all that hard to do!

> But don't you like Windows?

Oh, but I do, and I use it as my main OS, however, if I hadnt been given Win2K, I would be stuck with RedHat 8/9 and/or Lycoris.. Well, there's 98 which Im using, but I cant get USB to go.. And its just a lot of hassle, Id rather learn Linux.

> If not then don't worry about Wine.
>
> It's only a Win Emulator!

WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator...

Dunno what genius came up with that name aye, but WineX basically fakes a Windows C: drive. I guess it emulates..

People are realiseing that they can do almost anything in Linux that they can do in Doze.. With more Native Linux apps coming out all the time, Why not supportthe growing minority?

I use WinXP Pro on the Family's Celeron 933Mhz with 192 MB RAM, and burning a CD almost crashes the system!
Hit Win + R to bring up the Run dialog box and it'll take almost a minute!
Burning at 8x and on a 600 Meg CD it has to avoid buffer Under-run 68 times!

On Win2K however (Same version of Nero etc.) I could burn, play MP3's, Download, Chat, Surf - All at once!

If anybody knows why and would like to tell me how to fix it, I would love to hear :-)

My 2 cents worth for the day

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

stu140103
09-04-2003, 03:00 PM
>sc0ut
> wINDOWS uPDATE OR (oops caps)
> or
> www.microsoft.com

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

JJJJJ
09-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Had it since day 1 and I love it.
Jack.

Graham L
09-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Haven't. Wouldn't. ]:)

stu140103
09-04-2003, 03:31 PM
> > But I do not like (But I have used it on our 3rd
> pc) it because of the BIG Security holes in it etc.
>
> Really? What big security holes?
let see this one: UPnP Vulnerability & others.... see grc.com :)

When holes are found
> they are filled in reasonably quickly.
yeath right ;)

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2003, 03:34 PM
> When holes are found
> > they are filled in reasonably quickly.
> yeath right ;)

LMAO - Oh boy that's rich.. MS can really take their time ya know...

Linux isnt quite as bad....

Ive heard that BSD are the best though!

caffy
09-04-2003, 06:21 PM
> > And how would i find out if I have this?
>
> Hold down the Win Key (the one with the little flag
> on it near the spacebar) and press the Pause/Break
> key. It will say in there "Service Pack 1" if you
> have it installed.

OK, it says i have Service Pack 1...

Is this relevant to my gaming problem with XP? (in response to someone asking me if I had SP1)