View Full Version : Cheeky

07-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm a bit cheeky to use this forum but as a regular perhaps I can be forgiven. Question Can anyone give me a similar site to this one which answers general " do it yourself "questions. I've got a hammerlock in my plumbing and want to know if I can fix it simply myself without getting in a plumber. Thanks willbry

07-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Cheeky :)

You might want to have a quick look at MyHomeRepair (http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/PipeNoises.htm) It has a link to additional information, but that comes at a price. There is another page askbuild (http://www.askbuild.com/cgi-bin/column?192) that might prove helpful.


07-04-2003, 04:16 PM
DIY Cavalry (http://www.diycavalry.co.nz/advice/index.cfm) might be of some help??

Steve Askew
07-04-2003, 04:17 PM
If you hear a sort of "thunk" or rattle when you turn off certain faucets, you have a case of "water hammer." It's caused by sudden changes in water pressure within plumbing, and it's more than an annoyance. In fact, water hammer can break pipes and deep-six appliances. The solution: If the problem involves only a few fixtures, install a "water hammer arrestor" on the adjoining pipe as close to the faucet or shower head as you can. The arrestor absorbs the extra pressure before it rattles your faucet. However, if the problem is throughout the house, then it would be simpler to put in a pressure-reduction valve at the point where water comes into the house.

Perhaps you could enquire at your local Plumbing world or Mastertrade outlet for the best solution.
Fixing it yourself also depends on your DIY skills & access to plumbing tools.

Cheers Steve

07-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi Steve Askew, Honeylaser and Gorela - what very helpful people you are. I do so appreciate your immediate and helpful advice especially when the query wasn't appropriate to this forum.
Many many thanks
:- ) Willbry

07-04-2003, 05:44 PM
It could be an air lock in a pipe. Turn off the mains toby and let water drain from lowest tap and when turning toby back on make sure you turn on any taps near the problems and this should expell any air pockets. There would have to be an unusual bend in a pipe to cause this but have come across it before.

07-04-2003, 10:47 PM
With anything that I want know, I type a request directly into the Google search engine.

I tried typing; home plumbing fix noisy pipes, and it came up with lots of sites to look at.

Here is the web address for the sites it came up with.

click here (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=home+plumbing+fix+noisy+pipes)

Cheers :)

Murray P
07-04-2003, 11:04 PM

Have had a situation in a house where a persistent hammer was traced back to a faulty fitting in an external gas fired hot water system. Took a bit of finding because it produced a bounce effect that made it appear as if the problem was elswhere.

Anyway, my advice is to do your research, try to trace and identify the problem then get a registered plumber in to fix it if any plumbing work is involved. If it is an air lock and involves your HWC, turn it off before attempting to drain/bleed the system. If its a high pressure HWC system the air admittence valve may be your solution.

HTH & Good luck


Murray P

08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi mikebartnz, exLL and Murray P.
I'm just overwhelmed by the goodwill exhibited by all you folk and by the correspondents to this forum in general. Thank you all so much and I hope all the sound advice I've received will be of help to other readers as well. And thanks to F1 Admin too for allowing a "foreign" query to be aired.
Cheers willbry