PDA

View Full Version : adsl modem question

floyds
07-04-2003, 12:35 PM
ive got an external adsl modem, is there any problem with leaving it running 24/7 after ive turned my computer off or should i turn the modem off as well?

thanx

Gorela
07-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi Floyds,

As an ADSL connection is designed to be "always on" there should be no worries leaving the modem running all the time :)

HTH

godfather
07-04-2003, 12:56 PM
To add to the last info, I have never turned mine off.

Its not a problem, in fact it may be an advantage (as the availability of IP addresses decreases)

Kame
07-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Gorela is correct, there should be no problem leaving it on, you would have secured yourself an IP too which is sometimes a problem with ISP's running out of them.

You can however save a few cents off your power bill by turning it off. I'm not sure how much power the modem consumes but over a period of time you'd be saving and saving is all good right? :P

I still hear that if you get a Denial of Service (DoS) attack on your IP (this is a small probability but could occur to the unexpected) this will be seen as data being downloaded/uploaded and would result in your usuage. This wouldn't matter if the computer was on or off only the modem since that's the device that is holding the IP. There are more possibilities of other attacks that could happen but it's probably a risk you'd take if you leave it on.

Turning it off also gives the modem a chance to cool down, so it won't overheat.

It's really up to you what you want to do.

Jams
07-04-2003, 02:49 PM
ye, just leave it in, if u turn it off, the !ISDN! theres no such thing as an ADSL "modem", it will just reset itself and u will have to configure it again, not that its hard or anything!

Big John
07-04-2003, 03:02 PM
> Gorela is correct, there should be no problem leaving
> it on, you would have secured yourself an IP too
> which is sometimes a problem with ISP's running out
> of them.

Not always correct. The IP addresses do get changed but depends on the ISP on how often they change them. Because you get an IP from a DHCP server it gets a lease on how long it can hang on to that IP address. Once it expires it needs to get a new one.

Now if you had a static IP then this would not happen.

Big John
07-04-2003, 03:06 PM
> ye, just leave it in, if u turn it off, the !ISDN!

ISDN is something completely different than ADSL and a hole lot more expensive.

> theres no such thing as an ADSL "modem", it will just

And yes they are Modems. Modem is a accronom for Modulator/Demodulator which is exactly what happens, just at a higher frequency range that the standard telephone modem.

Kame
07-04-2003, 03:16 PM
I agree with you Big John, most ISP's do change them if you haven't got a static IP and I think it's every 5 days. Some are more regular others.

Murray P
07-04-2003, 10:17 PM
My lease time is 12hrs or thats what it says in the routers DHCP settings

On heat. My modem/router runs considerabley cooler in the upright position which should be safer if you want to leave it on for any length of time.

Cheers

Murray P

Jams
08-04-2003, 03:12 PM
ye, ok i was wrong about the ISDN bit, but they are not called MODEMS, they are called Routers, they do not DEModulate and MODulate, they stay DIGITAL!!!

> And yes they are Modems. Modem is a accronom for
> Modulator/Demodulator which is exactly what happens,
> just at a higher frequency range that the standard
> telephone modem.

Doyouneedhelp
08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
you can leave it on but i find that msn and programes like that download quite abit soo its easier to turn it off and then you no ur not downloading stuff. I also agree wif jams ASDL is not a modem! Modems change digital sign to analog. Adsl dont.

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2003, 03:36 PM
> ye, ok i was wrong about the ISDN bit, but they are
> not called MODEMS, they are called Routers, they do
> not DEModulate and MODulate, they stay DIGITAL!!!
>

Not all DSL Modems do routing though, so why are they called routers if they dont?

Doyouneedhelp
08-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Well most shops call them modems because everyone no's that you need a modem to connect to the net. Soo everyone started call them that because the average person didnt understand wat a modem does or wat adsl's do! and i didnt say all of them were routers! i used that as an example!

Big John
08-04-2003, 10:02 PM
> ye, ok i was wrong about the ISDN bit, but they are
> not called MODEMS, they are called Routers, they do

Sorry but a router is something completely different again. A router simply routes information from one network onto another. It may be incorporated into the ADSL modem or it may not.

And they are called modems regardless of what you think. Go to any online shop and you will see them all listed there.