PDA

View Full Version : One-off network between 98 and XP

ambasluv
07-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Well, the title pretty much covers it all, but I'll give a bit of background. Obviously enough - I want to make a one-off network between two computers - the gruntier machine running WinXP, and an older machine running Win98. I don't want to spend to much cash on this if I can help it, as it is only going to be used once, then any cabling that I've had to buy is going to be fairly useless, as the XP machine is getting a visit from the repo man.

I have heard about people running a network in conjunction with the phone lines installed in their house, but I do not know exactly what would be involved with this. Also - does Hyperterminal exist for Windows 98? It isn't loaded onto the machine I have here, so does anyone know where I can find a copy? (Please don't say to use the Win98 cd - we never received one.)

Anyways onto the important tech specs. The Win98 machine has a 33.6k modem installed, one each of parallel and serial ports a big fat zero score as far as USB goes.

The XP machine has a Soft 56k modem, somewhere in the region of 6m USB ports and one each of parallel and serial.

I have until Friday to transfer some rather large file across the machines, and so far the best plan I have come up with is to find two copies of HyperTerminal and shipping the XP machine around to a friend's place... Please say that somebody has a better suggestion.

Yours

Ambasluv

minos#2
07-04-2003, 11:29 AM
why not just set up kazaa account on each pc and download through that? cost is minimal ( except for net time ) and you can still download kazaa lite.

no need to worry about setting up a network etc...

:-)

and if you start today, you've got heaps of time!

for kazaa lite goto : http://doa2.host.sk/

ambasluv
07-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Okay - to me this sounds rather like an advertising blurb, but I don't know much about Kazaa to really know for sure if this is my best method - how about you explain to me just what Kazaa is/does...

I want to know all my options with the hardware I've got. I only know of a handful of freebie ones, but there is no way I'm even attempting to send a Gig of stuff over my usual net connection, an hour a meg is not a good position to begin in...

Any other suggestions anyone?

godfather
07-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Simply take the HDD out of the W98 machine, set it as slave and put it in the XP machine. File transfer should be only seconds.

Then revert everything to normal.

ambasluv
07-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Genius! Sheer Genius, I'm currently kicking myself for not coming up with this one before. Is there a faq on this? I wouldn't know how to do it, but it makes perfect sense... I suppose I'll be needing anti-static straps etc?

Please elaborate...

minos#2
07-04-2003, 12:09 PM
so you wanted a harder solution instead of an easy one??

consider the cost ie: time/travel/trouble shooting etc... especially if you are not sure what you're doing!

just remember that ntfs can see fat 16/32 not the other way around and also check that you have the jumpers set properly ie: master - slave etc or you could use cable select.

And no it wasn't advertising :)

godfather
07-04-2003, 12:19 PM
As the XP machine can read FAT (as used in W98) but Win 98 cannot read NTFS (which may be used as the file structure in XP, but it could be FAT system) its best to put your W98 HDD in the XP box.

The HDD unplugs with one wide ribbon cable and one 4 pin power plug.

Undo the retaining screws in the HDD cage and slide the HDD out.

You dont need to actually fully fit it in the XP box, just find if there is a spare IDE cable (the big flat one) plug

You could also cheat and "borrow" the plugs from the CD drive.

Each IDE cable has 2 plugs. The HDD will be set as "master" and the other plug on the same cable will be useable as a "slave"

On your HDD there will be some pins at the back with a jumper. A diagram is usually on the HDD label that tells you where the jumper should be moved to. Presently it will be Master.

Set a restore point on the XP machine before you do it, as insurance.

As long as you are touching the unpainted part of the metal case while doing this, anti-static straps not needed.

Each IDE cable allows for 1 master and 1 slave device.
As long as you are not trying to have 2 masters or 2 slaves on one cable it should be sweet.

XP will detect the drive on boot-up, use file explorer to shift files.

Undo everything you did and you are fine. The XP machine will not complain when it reboots and finds the "new" drive has gone, its all automatic

ambasluv
07-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Okay - imagine you are talking to somebody with absolutely no hardware experience at all, seeing as you are and all, then try and explain all this again...

Lord save me if there's no faq.

Oh, by the way, I didn't mean the advertising comment as an offensive remark, that's just how it struck me at first. My net connection isn't too hot, and nobody seemed willing to actually tell me what Kazaa is. From what I've managed to work out it seems to some sort of file-sharing system like Napster. Last time I checked they'd made those illegal...

Please remember that simplicity is not a major factor in this problem, but transfer speeds and cost are. The hard-drive solution strikes me as excellent, but I haven't got the technical expertise just yet...

Keep those ideas coming...

ambasluv
07-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Wonderful - so much for this being the difficult solution...

I can see how you get your name Godfather. It's nice to see someone so willing to help out a complete and utter newbie.

Thankyou as well Minos. Good idea you had, I think, I don't know enough about your suggestion to comment...

Still kicking myself for not asking about this earlier...

stu140103
07-04-2003, 01:03 PM
> Still kicking myself for not asking about this
> earlier...

Do Not kick your self to hard :D :p
heheheh